Going from standard tires to LT tires on tow vehical

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertusa123

Just completed my first tow with a conversation van with 15in rims.... 6900lbs trailer.  up graded to LT  truck tires and  WOW what a difference it makes...... all my sway problems have magically disappeared...... well that may not magic $850 worth in new tires

It's hard to find 15in  LT  tires  best I could find was  6 ply  .  And you also need to use 50psi with the LT  tires 

Just for the record and to avoid confusion by other readers, it is the 6-ply rating (Load range C) that dictates the 50 psi, not the fact that it is an LT tire.  The required Psi is related to the tire load carrying capacity. LT tires typically have a higher load rating than a similar size passenger car tire, so typically have a higher max psi as well.

I just ran across this post and wanted to ask some questions.  I am confused by some of the terms and numbers regarding tires.  I have 2015 Chev Silverado pickup with P265-65R-18 tires, which I think would be standard OE tires.  In reading this post, when I have the "P" tires does this mean they are car tires?  I'm thinking that maybe I would be better off when towing my camper with the LT tires.  I also have been reading about the towing weights and I think that I am within the guidelines.  However, I am wondering if it would be a little more stable with the LT tires.  Do I just buy the same size tires except in the LT designation?  Or are there other things to consider when buying new tires?

Generally speaking, you've got it right. The "p" tires have softer sidewalls for a more comfortable ride. The consequence is more sway when towing. Generally, you'll replace with the same size.  Be sure the load carrying ability is the same or higher.

Ernie

Ernie is right!

"P" is the designation for Passenger tires.  "LT" is the designation for Light Truck tires.

LT will give a harsher ride, but will generally carry a heavier load.  However, there is more to it than this.

Check the tire rating label on the driver door.  Note the GAWR, or Gross Axle Weight Rating.  Generally, the rear GAWR is higher.  Divide the rear GAWR by 2 and make sure the Load Ratings on the tires you buy exceed this number. (2 tires per axle).  Tires also come li "Load Range C",  "Load Range D",  etc.  Higher letters correspond to more plys or ply ratings, thus heavier tires with higher load ratings.

Note the rim max pressure designation as well.  Higher load range frequently have higher pressure requirements to reach max load.

Note also that more tire capacity does NOT increase the load carrying capacity of the truck.  You still have the same axles, brakes, suspension ...

The industry standard for plus sizing your tires is to ensure the new tires will provide a load carrying capacity equal to or greater than the Original Equipment (OE) tires. People not familiar with changing designs (P to LT) may overlook the fact that the "P" tires, when used on a pick-up truck, required the truck manufacturer to derate them. So the maximum load capacity on your "P" tire's sidewalls is not correct. They were derated by about 10% in accordance with DOT fitment regulations. This is a hypothetical example. "P" tires rated on their sidewall as having 2500# of load capacity at 44 psi really have 2272# of maximum load capacity on the truck. (2500/1.1= 2272#.

Back
Top Bottom