four wheel down towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danford50

I have a 2013 Honda civic just wanting to know if you can tow a civic on all 4 wheel down, I know what the manuel say , just wanting to know if anyone has tow this vehicle behind a motorhome

Go here and see what they say:

http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/

danford50 said:
the manuel  say no

danford50
Personally if the manual "say no" I wouldn't do it.
(especially since there are hundreds of both cars and trucks with manuals that say "yes").

The manual for a specific car is the final word and what you should go by.  The Remco site will tell you if it can be retrofitted for towing (it's their specialty and what they do) or not.

ArdraF

I have read other post on the internet saying they have flat tow their Honda for years and had no problem and they knew what the manuel said so that was my reason for asking the question

If you buy a new car that says not to tow four-down then you'll void the warranty and new transmissions are expensive!  I say transmissions because that's usually what gets damaged.  They've been changing transmissions which is why the cars are no longer towable four down.

ArdraF

Do what you want, but I'd trust the manufacturer's Owner manual long before taking the advice of "people on the internet"

People towed Hondas for years when the manual said "No". Some other brands too. Obviously involves some warranty risk, but that 2013 is mostly out-of-warranty anyway. Post-warranty, the risk is to your wallet.

The 2013 Civic shares the powertrain with other 2013 Hondas that are designated as towable (CRV and Fit) models, so it probably could be towed successfully.  The fact that Honda refuses to approve it ought to give you pause, but if you are a gambler it's probably not a bad bet.

Automatic transmissions suffer increased wear & tear when towed, and some are more vulnerable than others. Manufacturers seek to minimize their warranty exposure so place limits on towability, but marketing likes to expand their sales potential with promises of 4-down towing.  Somewhere in the middle is a gray area of moderate risk, too much to promise warranty coverage but maybe not too much to be done (with caution). Holding the towing speed down, limiting the time under tow, and occasional stops to exercise the tranny can all mitigate the potential for damage.  Your mileage may vary...

Back
Top Bottom