Splendide washer dryer removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyb1st

Our new motorhome came with something we always said we didn't want.  Yesterday for the first time, we decided to test it. Turned it on, watched it fill with water and then after an hour, waited for it to finish.  It didn't.  It just kept spinning, rinsing and spinning.  Filled half the grey tank.  It's 12 years old and we don't know if it's ever been used.  I was concerned the seals might fail and it would leak causing a minor flood.  It didn't but, we had a hard time stopping it and getting the door to open.  Finally after reading the manual,  :eek: I managed to get it to quit and the door opened.  Not happy with the experience, so we decided to remove it.  I had already removed the cabinet doors and was able to push it back enough to clear the bottom board that keeps it secured.  However, it wouldn't budge.  That's where the step-son comes in.  He's a 200 pound 30 year old Vet and a lot stronger than me.  I pushed the top back so the bottom would clear as he tried to wiggle it out.  Again, it would not move.  Now I'm thinking just leave it in.  So my questions. 

It didn't leak during the test.  So can we assume the seals and whatever are still good and just use it or is it a ticking time bomb? 

If we do attempt to move it, how is that done?  I'm thinking give it to a used appliance dealer and let him remove it.  Any thoughts?

The amount of wiring beneath the unit, which sits about 8 inches above the floor, would choke a large horse.  Clearly there's a lot more wiring below the Splendide than what is needed for the unit.  The step-son, who is military certified in electric/electronincs commented about the haphazard mess suggesting it was poorly done.  (It's an RV). 

While we ran the unit at the house and were hooked up to the city water, the power was from the generator.  If need be and we're boon docking, is there any reason, assuming adequate water and tank capacity, we shouldn't use it? 

Last and most important, if we're at a park, hooked up to 120, and it starts to leak, is there a risk of electrocution? 

It would be fun to see if you can get it working and use it.  I assume its a combo unit (washer/dryer).  Try and get a manual and run through the features to see if you like it.  There were some good and bad.  Splendide, whirlpool, good, I heard majestic not so good.

If you really don't think you'll ever use it, then pointless.  The feet are generally bolted down to allow them to wiggle a little while running. 

There's no reason it won't work on generator power when boondocking Gary. The only down-side of doing so is generator run-time (noise) and fresh-water/gray-water capacities. I had to remove our Splendide washer last year to replace the mother-board. Apparently, it's a fairly common Splendide problem ($350.00). Ours are stackable units, so I had to remove the dryer first to get the washer out (that was fun.) Both units were screwed to their wood platforms with wood screws through the front support brackets at the bottom of each unit. It's just a guess, but I'd assume that combo units are mounted similarly.

Kev

Mine just sits inside the cabinet and is not bolted down. The back faces the front of the RV so if I had to stop fast, it still wouldn't move.
As far as your problem,  I would call Splendide and ask to speak to a tech. I've heard they are real good at trouble shooting with you. See if you can find the model number and year before calling.

I would try it out and do some washing. Most of the things you listed are quite normal such as the door locking. They do that so you can't open the front loader and flood the area with water!! It does unlock automagically after a time timed delay when finished. There are many wash and dryer times available, shorter, longer etc. I think many of the things you experienced were because you were unfamiliar with the unit.

Go to the website here: http://www.splendide.com/request_manual.htm
and download the manual for that model and it will become easy. Use the soap (HE) specified as you want limited suds in these front loader models.

The wiring underneath the unit has nothing to do with the washer. It plugs into an ordinary outlet and has hot and cold water lines and perhaps an exhaust to the exterior (depending on the model).

If need be and we're boon docking, is there any reason, assuming adequate water and tank capacity, we shouldn't use it? 

No

Last and most important, if we're at a park, hooked up to 120, and it starts to leak, is there a risk of electrocution? 

No more so than your machine at home!!! Simply check the hose and connections to be sure they are tight.

Although my wife does not use the dryer usually, she would shoot me if I tried to remove our Splendide!!! ;D

Thanks for all the replies and links.  That's very encouraging and we'll definitely give it a try.  Hopefully next week when we take our first trip in the new motorhome. 

Alfa38User, thanks for the heads up on the wiring.  I knew it had to be more than just the Splendide.  But an actual plug?  What a novel idea.  ;)

Kevin, we're almost ready to roll.  So when you and Cyndi are planning your next outing, keep us in mind. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom