AC blower fan mod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

omguf

My Airxcel 13500 ultra low profile AC in my Hummingbird only has lo and high fan settings. I've determined that allowing the blower fan to run while the AC compressor is cycled off is causing a drastic rise in humidity accompanied by mold growth at the supply vents. I'd like to possibly mod my AC to include something like an Auto/On toggle that will interrupt power to the blower motor if the AC compressor is not cycled on. Does anyone know of a way to accomplish this? As always, thanks in advance for any info you guys can provide.

If you are talking about black deposits around the supply vents make sure it is mold instead of dirt. Turbulent air will cause a static charge that will attract dirt around a supply vent. 

I'm sure a relay could be added that would do what you need but the AC may need to have the air circulating across an internal thermostat to get an accurate temp sample.  Just guessing at this since I have no access to a wiring  or component diagram.

The air the fan moves when the A/C compressor is not running "should" be air from inside the RV and no outside air gets into the RV. If you have moisture issues, the A/C should remove it. If that isn't happening, then I'd see if there is a problem with a drain. Do you see water coming out anywhere when it's running?

I was considering that too. You would need some sort of a delay timer in the relay circuit so the fan runs for a short time after cycling off the compressor.

Do any RV AC rooftop units cycle off the blower fan when the compressor cycles off?

Just to provide an update for anyone interested in this topic, I called Airxcel and spoke with one of their techs.  Apparently my model (and many of their models) accept the installation of a thermostat and control board to accomplish exactly what I was trying to do.  For my model, I needed these two parts:

AC Parts
8330-752 - control box
8330-3862 -  thermostat

They offered many different parts for their different models, so be sure you check with them (or someone who knows) about which parts you need for your model.  Thanks!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom