Apex and Tahoe pairing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akamistyeyes

Long time camper and lurker here since 2009. I've learned so much and thank everyone for the information and insight the regulars have provided over the years. I've been hauling my a Coleman Cheyenne pop up around easily with my Honda Odyssey minivan for 17 years. But I'm thinking it's time for an upgrade.
I'm looking at an Apex Ultra-Lite, 245BHS. The dry weight listed on the frame is 4593#.
I'm looking to purchase a 2010 Tahoe LTZ with the heavy duty towing package. (4WD, 5.3L V8, 3.42:1 ratio & towing capacity of 8200#.) I'll be using a Husky TS WDH.

Our typical travel group is 2 adults & 1 6yo son, but could add in two daughters in college, so I am estimating 1000# for people. Based on what we have in the pop up, I'm estimating putting 1200# of food and "stuff" in the camper as my daughters do not travel light. Add in 200# for three kayaks & gear and 100# for three bicycles & gear. #40 for propane and #100 of "just in case water." Tongue weight max of 650# and #100 for the WDH.

Given these figures, do you think I've got enough truck for this camper?

akamistyeyes said:
Long time camper and lurker here since 2009. I've learned so much and thank everyone for the information and insight the regulars have provided over the years. I've been hauling my a Coleman Cheyenne pop up around easily with my Honda Odyssey minivan for 17 years. But I'm thinking it's time for an upgrade.
I'm looking at an Apex Ultra-Lite, 245BHS. The dry weight listed on the frame is 4593#.
I'm looking to purchase a 2010 Tahoe LTZ with the heavy duty towing package. (4WD, 5.3L V8, 3.42:1 ratio & towing capacity of 8200#.) I'll be using a Husky TS WDH.

Our typical travel group is 2 adults & 1 6yo son, but could add in two daughters in college, so I am estimating 1000# for people. Based on what we have in the pop up, I'm estimating putting 1200# of food and "stuff" in the camper as my daughters do not travel light. Add in 200# for three kayaks & gear and 100# for three bicycles & gear. #40 for propane and #100 of "just in case water." Tongue weight max of 650# and #100 for the WDH.

Given these figures, do you think I've got enough truck for this camper?

Ignore dry weight. No one tows dry.
Figure on trailer GVWR for towing weight and at least 10% of GVWR for tongue weight.

Check out a Tahoe comparably equipped and take a photo of the yellow sticker on the drivers B pillar. Use those numbers.

Lynx is exactly right!  Working down from max tow rating is dangerous!  Max tow is for that model, max tow option, and NO OTHER OPTIONS.  Trim line is ignored.  It includes 2 passengers at 150# each and NOTHING ELSE.  Advertising Dept wants to use the biggest number possible.  Your safety is not their concern.

The yellow label Linx mentioned is on the driver door latch post.  It is specific to that Tahoe, but if you look at one with LTZ trim and tow package, 4WD and 5.3L engine, it will be very close to the weight of the one you buy.  A 2WD base trim will be very different!

Start from the yellow label.  "Max weight of passengers and cargo shall not exceed XXXX pounds" is exactly what it says.  Add together the weight of all passengers, pets, snacks, toys and other cargo carried in the Tahoe.  Add 80# for your WD hitch.  Add 10% of the camper GVWR to approximate the hitch wt.  This must be less than that "magic" number on the yellow label.

My guess is you will be close, but okay.  Please do not bet your family's safety on my guess!! Do the simple math!

That Apex is gonna be closer to the 6500 lb GVWR than any number you can estimate, so you may as well use that for the tow weight, and 10% of that (650) for the tongue weight.  Add in the 1000# of people and the hitch when evaluating the Tahoe cargo capacity (others have already explained the yellow label).  I'm thinking you are OK, but do the arithmetic with the real numbers.

Thank you for the information. I am test driving the 2010 Tahoe tomorrow and will check out the stickers for the numbers you listed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom