Question About Drones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Canadian Government Drone Regulations

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/flying-drone-safely-legally.html

A friend has one for his kid, paid less than a couple hundred for it. He said it locks on to a few satellites so it will not be affected by the wind, or if it does get blown in a gust, it will return to its position and hold if you elect to have it do that. It sounds pretty cool they are on EBay. I'm sure for less than 200 bux you can get a pretty darn good one. A person to ask would be the videoographers that use them. Maybe call a local photography place and ask them thoughts.

I have a dji Phantom 4.  Nice "toy".  I fly it for fun and for helping out friends identify problems on roofs or other structures.  Very usful and it is definitly fun to fly. I think you can get a Phantom III at a reasonable price and it is easy to fly.  "got to pay to play"!  8)

I use a phantom lll professional in my video's it's a DJI product and can be picked up on EBay for a good price 700-1000
My RV show G & R Travels has a lot of drone footage in it, you can see it below if you like. Good luck in your search.:)

https://youtu.be/U3x6vPXXlrE

No need to go and buy a Phantom 3 or 4.
There are drones out there for less than 200.00
Like the Hubsan that is GPS supported FPV (first person view) thru the camera and RTH return to home . I have a Phantom P3 and P4 and a few hubsan. I like my hubsan doesn't take a lot to fly and will stay in position to take those videos.

The problem with those things is that people misuse them ALL the time.

A couple of years ago, I was in the middle of a river fishing one time and I kept hearing this whirring sound, something I had never heard in my life. Then I looked up and there was this quadcopter drone sitting overhead and "watching" me cast flies.  Man! Talk about an invasion of privacy!

I looked around and saw the guy with the controls on the bank about 100 yards way from where I was. I didn't say anything but that pretty much formed my opinion of those things. They may be fun but they can be really intrusive. Really, there's no place one can be 100% sure he's not being watched.

Now the cops are using them all over. "Big Brother" is watching you now.....for REAL!

if it has a GPS guidance capability then it likely also has an FAA GEO blocking feature.  So it can't fly in restricted airspace, 5 miles away from Airports, government facilities, Disneyland  etc.

the no-Fly zones are programmable, so if the FAA wants they can be blocked from any area on command.  Law enforcement units are exempt.

Willandgiselarv said:
No need to go and buy a Phantom 3 or 4.
There are drones out there for less than 200.00
Like the Hubsan that is GPS supported FPV (first person view) thru the camera and RTH return to home . I have a Phantom P3 and P4 and a few hubsan. I like my hubsan doesn't take a lot to fly and will stay in position to take those videos.

Which model Hubsan do you have? I would like a drone for basic landscape and scenery photos, doubt I would ever shoot video. I?d like one that?s fully stabilized and very simple to fly so I can take it out, take the shot and put it away. I had a cheap one that actually took pretty good pictures but wasn?t stabilized so was very difficult to fly.

I?ve had a P3 on my wish list for a year but just can?t justify the price for very occasional use.

UTTransplant said:
I may not be popular with this opinion, but I just hate these things! They have an annoying whine and they are very distracting to people around them. They were banned from National Parks and many State Parks because people were disturbing animals and buzzing hikers. Right now there is a fire in a populated canyon near me, and at least one idiot was flying a drone to get pictures, thereby keeping fire retardant and water aircraft from flying to the area (another thing against the law).

If people can afford a $1,000 cell phone every few years, I'm sure they'll be able to afford a $1,000 drone every once in a while.  I don't see any evidence that people have learned that using a cell phone while driving can result in serious injury or death to themselves and others.  There's no doubt in my mind that they sure as hell aren't going to learn, or care, that flying these increasingly sophisticated toys is going to result in the same serious injuries or death, just not to themselves.  Hopefully their use will not follow the route of the cell phone where the authorities were a bit slow in limiting and enforcing their use. 

I would posit cell phones have saved many lives. Before cell phones we had to depend on someone finding either a private residence, business or pay phone during an emergency. Now we can call as soon as the emergency occurs at the scene. There have been many instances where someone took a video in certain situations and said video was used in court to either convict or find someone not guilty. Maybe we can find similar good uses for drones. I do agree that drones can be a nuisance as are cell phones in certain situations.

Oldgator73 said:
I would posit cell phones have saved many lives.
My cell phone saved my life in 2013. I got a bad headache and called 911. I passed out on the phone and because of the GPS in my phone they were able to find me and get me to a hospital for brain surgery. I always have my phone with me.

SeilerBird said:
My cell phone saved my life in 2013. I got a bad headache and called 911. I passed out on the phone and because of the GPS in my phone they were able to find me and get me to a hospital for brain surgery. I always have my phone with me.

:)) :)) :))

Sun2Retire said:
Which model Hubsan do you have? I would like a drone for basic landscape and scenery photos, doubt I would ever shoot video. I?d like one that?s fully stabilized and very simple to fly so I can take it out, take the shot and put it away. I had a cheap one that actually took pretty good pictures but wasn?t stabilized so was very difficult to fly.

I?ve had a P3 on my wish list for a year but just can?t justify the price for very occasional use.
Take a look at the h501s and the h501c..the difference  is First person view...they are both GPS enabled and take great videos. Pm me if you need more info..in fact I know some good deals..
The nice thing is if you let go of the controls the drone will stay in place and the Return to Home works well.
It can take pictures if that is what you want get the First Person View and you can see thru the drone which can be helpful to help orient you where the drone is going, there is also a position arrow so even you don't see the drone you know which directions also tells you how high and how many GPS it has locked into, 6 is minimum before flying.

UTTransplant said:
I may not be popular with this opinion, but I just hate these things! They have an annoying whine and they are very distracting to people around them. They were banned from National Parks and many State Parks because people were disturbing animals and buzzing hikers. Right now there is a fire in a populated canyon near me, and at least one idiot was flying a drone to get pictures, thereby keeping fire retardant and water aircraft from flying to the area (another thing against the law).

as of jan 2019. NO drones have been proven to have caused any airplane or helo in the United States of America to change course or not ?be there?.
and NO drone was shown to be the cause of the ban in fed parks, or monuments. it is only a knee jerk reaction.

packnrat said:
as of jan 2019. NO drones have been proven to have caused any airplane or helo in the United States of America to change course or not ?be there?.
and NO drone was shown to be the cause of the ban in fed parks, or monuments. it is only a knee jerk reaction.

So you're saying reports like the ones below (and there are lots more) are "fake news"???

"Last spring, volunteers at Zion National Park in Utah watched as a drone harassed a herd of bighorn sheep."

"The incident troubled the National Park Service, which subsequently made flying a drone in Zion punishable with up to six months in jail and/or a $5,000 fine. Later, the NPS banned drones from all national parks."

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/animals-vs-drones-should-close-encounters-be-banned-n451736

"A fire in Colorado was allowed to rage freely for an hour thanks to drone interference."

https://www.popularmechanics.com/flight/drones/a21599465/drones-interrupt-fire-fighting-wildfires/

"A man was arrested in Prescott, Arizona for flying a drone into the airspace near the Goodwin Fire that as of Friday had burned over 25,000 acres southeast of the city."

https://wildfiretoday.com/2017/07/01/drone-operator-arrested-for-interfering-with-firefighting-aircraft/

Deleted.  My info was just duplication of previous info provided by others.

Back
Top Bottom