2001 minnie winnie power surge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

srtraveler

We were plugged into a faulty device and a 220 volt surge occurred. Toxic blue smoke poured from the vent housing the converter.  We assume our
converter is fried. 12 volt systems seem to be working. Lights and refrigerator are working. We are unable to get into a repair facility until July21.
we have a solar panel so we can keep the battery charged. Is it safe to dry camp?

srtraveler said:
Toxic blue smoke poured from the vent housing the converter.  We assume our
converter is fried.

You may be right but I would still check the output of the convertor before you toss it. Disconnect the ground wire from the battery, plug in the convertor then measure the output with a volt meter. There may be a couple of fuses on the convertor. Make sure they're OK.

we have a solar panel so we can keep the battery charged.

This will, of course, depend on that panel. A single panel may be of dubious use when charging a battery that needs to be used every day. Many single panel installations are simply intended for use as a trickle charger and are only good when the vehicle is in storage.

This is an example of why many of us recommend using a surge protector from Progressive Industries or Surge Guard when ever the RV is plugged in. It is too late for this particular occasion but the OP should consider it immediately if staying there.

It also sounds like the result of plugging into an improperly wired 50 amp connection and this usually results in a lot of stuff getting fried, not just a converter.

If the converter is toast, you can substitute an automotive battery charger for now. An inexpensive 10A charger from Walmart will keep you going if you have external power available.

Alfa38User said:
It also sounds like the result of plugging into an improperly wired 50 amp connection and this usually results in a lot of stuff getting fried, not just a converter.

If that was the case, the Progressive would have sensed that and would not have left the bad power to enter the RV.

Thank you for all the replies we received. We are experienced RVers-got our first RV in 1968- a Winneabago. We've had 4 motorhomes and 2 5th
wheels. Done a lot of dry camping
using our solar panel. We've experienced many different problems but never anything like this.

Welcome aboard. Good advice from the guys, nothing to add to those comments.

I'm going to assume you didn't have a surge guard box on your shore power cord? I think mine will disconnect on anything over 130V.

If that was the case, the Progressive would have sensed that and would not have left the bad power to enter the RV.
I haven't seen anything so far to suggest that any "Progressive" device was in use.

Plugging to a 220v source goes somewhat beyond the term "surge".  perhaps more like a tidal wave!  A 2001 Minnie Winnie is probably a 30A system with an integrated power center, i.e. 120v, 12v and converter/charger all hardwired in one package. With some luck, the flame-out of the converter/charger caused a shut down before further damage could be done elsewhere.

Making lemonade from lemons, consider this is an opportunity to replace the old, obsolete converter/charger technology with a modern 3-stage converter/charger. The house battery(s) will last longer and charge faster

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom