Hot water tank leak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dianeoliver

:( I have a sunline solaris 286 tt.  Noticed water in bottom  cabinet . had a new water heater installed less than 1 yr.  No water when I open the outside door. Any suggestions . it is an altwood.

Check all the fittings and make sure they are snugged down properly.  About the only way to find a slow water leak is to trace back where the water is coming from, and/or tighten everything and see if that stops the water from collecting.  How often do you find a puddle big enough to need drying up?  Is this the cabinet under your kitchen sink (where the inside half of many hot water tanks are located)?

Could be lots of things.  Since you suspect the HW heater check all the fittings etc.  Fill it as normal and check your entire system for leaks.  If all is well move along to other possibilities.  Don't let it go.

scottydl said:
Check all the fittings and make sure they are snugged down properly. 

When checking the fittings there is no need for using a wrench as long as you can get your hand around it. If you find the leak and can't stop it, disconnect the fitting and replace the cone shaped washer. It won't be cone shaped when you pull out the old one because it's been compressed.

Our 6 gallon Atwood developed a leak where a nipple was welded to the aluminum tank. It was wear the cold water entered the tank. I pulled the tank and welded the nipple up again. When the factory welded it they had a slag pocket when the weld was overlapped, not chipped properly and it left a void and over time it started leaking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom