Newbie with AC question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seanh7344

Hi everyone!  My name is Sean.  New to the forum.  Having a problem with the AC on my '93 Terry Resort.  Before taking it out for the season I took it into my local dealer/shop to find out why my AC and furnace were not working properly - AC would not cool camper on hot days; furnace would blow cold air for 5-10 minutes then shut off.  They told me I needed a new thermostat.  I had them do the work, but then the AC started acting up.  After running for about an hour it would freeze over all the copper tubing.  Since I live in it for work (construction season) I turned it to fan so it would thaw.  This is how I have had to deal with it for the last couple months.  Unfortunately, now when the thermostat is switched off The AC unit makes a humming sound.  The only way to stop it is to turn off the circuit breaker.  Is there a part I can replace that will get my AC working properly?  Or am I going to have to replace the unit?  Because I do live in it from March to December I will have to do any work myself.  TIA for all replies!!

Well the hum is gone!  So other than the part where it freezes its working ok.  Any suggestions for fixing that issue?

Freezing of an AC unit or other refrigeration device is usually low refrigerant.  You will have to have gauges and the proper refrigerant (usually 134) to check and fill it.  Low airflow across the coils can also cause it to freeze, so you may want to start by checking the cleanliness of the coils and the speed of the fan motor, which may be about to seize, as indicated by the "hum" you described.

Low refrigerant is NOT an easy fix on RV air conditioners. They do not have the necessary ports needed to do this. They can be added but many air conditioning techs/companies have been known to refuse to service them as a result.

Thanks guys!  Low refrigerant has been a concern and my local service center flat out told me they "can't" recharge it.  I would have to buy a new unit.  I've had the cover off and it's pretty clean.  Another possibility I had heard was needing a new condenser as well, but if the hum is a problem with the motor maybe that's my problem.  Although its only done that the one time.  Thanks again!

seanh7344 said:
Thanks guys!  Low refrigerant has been a concern and my local service center flat out told me they "can't" recharge it.  I would have to buy a new unit.  I've had the cover off and it's pretty clean.  Another possibility I had heard was needing a new condenser as well, but if the hum is a problem with the motor maybe that's my problem.  Although its only done that the one time.  Thanks again!

If the condenser is bad and it's a sealed unit with no way to charge it, you can't replace the condenser because you'd lose all the refrigerate. A good heating and air guy may be able to charge it by soldering in fittings. The "mechanics" at the dealer are parts changers.

Turn the power off and mix up some dawn and water really strong in a old spray bottle. Then spray down all the pipes and fittings. It will bubble up where it is leaking. Do it in the shade so it doesn't evaporate quickly.   

Back
Top Bottom