Weight distribution hitch storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mxracer38163

I was looking for a way to store my heavy weight distribution hitch when my travel trailers is parked at a camp ground. Typically I will leave it on the ground or throw it in the back of the truck but I do not want it to get stolen. Being it is heavy and awkward I really do not want to put it in the camper either. Any ideas?

I was actually going to suggest storing it in the camper. That's what I do with mine. Garage at home? Good luck.

Mxracer38163 said:
I was looking for a way to store my heavy weight distribution hitch when my travel trailers is parked at a camp ground. Typically I will leave it on the ground or throw it in the back of the truck but I do not want it to get stolen. Being it is heavy and awkward I really do not want to put it in the camper either. Any ideas?

I usually leave the hitch attached to the truck. The sway control and weight distribution bars I put into one of the outside
storage compartments on the trailer.

At a campsite, I usually put the weight distribution bars across the trailer A frame, between the propane tanks and the battery.  While not theft proof they're reasonably out of sight.

The hitch I usually left on the truck, otherwise it went into an outside storage compartment.

Between trips, both the hitch and distribution arms go into the storage compartment.

I used to do the same as Lou. Never really worried about it getting stolen.

I faced and conquered this dilemma. I Bought a piece of plastic home gutter and cut it to length and screwed it to my a frame behind battery box. It holds the bars and extra small pieces etc. I drilled a few holes in it to allow water to leak down. It works great. The other idea I came up with for my hitch receiver is I purchased this off EBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitch-Receiver-Adapter-for-RV-Bumper-Bike-Rack-Cargo-Travel-Carrier-Mount-/352022543653?hash=item51f62dbd25:g:pQcAAOSwt0FZC45H&vxp=mtr

I attached it to my A frame with these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Spare-Tire-Carriers-Zinc-Plated-U-Bolt-Holder-Bracket-Side-Mount-for-4-5-Lug-/272658860466?epid=842566454&hash=item3f7bbc09b2:g:tz8AAOSwhvFZDI9v&vxp=mtr

And all I have to do is take the hitch from the back of my truck and I put the receiver lock on and its done. !!

No leaving it on the ground, busting anyones knees or getting stolen.

Have had many people come up and look and say wow! what a great idea.

I purchased a small truck tool box (for a Ranger, Tacoma, etc) from TSC and bolted it to the tongue behind my propane tanks.  Very handy.

Attachments

• IMG_0476_small.jpg
    IMG_0476_small.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 38
Thanks for the ideas. I kinda like the hitch on the tongue setup. Put a little spot weld on the end of the ubolts and know one is stealing it then

Mxracer38163 said:
Thanks for the ideas. I kinda like the hitch on the tongue setup. Put a little spot weld on the end of the ubolts and know one is stealing it then

Correct on the spot weld. However, like mostly everything I lock up at my site when camping. IF they want it bad enough they will find a way. Bolt cutters for the cables I lock my bikes and zero gravity's and gas grill etc with allow for theft, but my hope it they look and go to the next guy.

I just dont like the way the inside floor and walls of my storage area take a beating, I then --one distant day will have to try to explain to a potential buyer why its all beat up and mistreated. My two cents.

Triple Slide Jayco said:
I faced and conquered this dilemma. I Bought a piece of plastic home gutter and cut it to length and screwed it to my a frame behind battery box. It holds the bars and extra small pieces etc. I drilled a few holes in it to allow water to leak down. It works great. The other idea I came up with for my hitch receiver is I purchased this off EBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitch-Receiver-Adapter-for-RV-Bumper-Bike-Rack-Cargo-Travel-Carrier-Mount-/352022543653?hash=item51f62dbd25:g:pQcAAOSwt0FZC45H&vxp=mtr

I attached it to my A frame with these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Spare-Tire-Carriers-Zinc-Plated-U-Bolt-Holder-Bracket-Side-Mount-for-4-5-Lug-/272658860466?epid=842566454&hash=item3f7bbc09b2:g:tz8AAOSwhvFZDI9v&vxp=mtr

And all I have to do is take the hitch from the back of my truck and I put the receiver lock on and its done. !!

No leaving it on the ground, busting anyones knees or getting stolen.

Have had many people come up and look and say wow! what a great idea.

Great idea.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom