Dexter Easy Lube Axles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoss10

I'm more then a little confused about if or how to use the easy lube axles.  The dealer who we bought our used trailer from last year said never to use them as they will get grease everywhere, including on the brakes.  I know the best way is to remove clean inspect and repack the bearings but, would be OK to use them to add a little grease, and do the yearly service later.
We were planning a short trip (about 500 miles) next week and don't think I will have time to repack them.  The bearing were serviced when we bought the trailer last June and we have towed it approximately 2000 miles since then.
Thanks for the help

The dealer told you correctly.  You repack the bearings when you do the annual brake inspections.  Just pumping in a little will do nothing for the outer bearing.

lynnmor said:
The dealer told you correctly.  You repack the bearings when you do the annual brake inspections.  Just pumping in a little will do nothing for the outer bearing.

Good advice right there. If it were me, and my bearings were done 2000 miles ago, I'd hook up and go on my trip and not worry about it.

I do my boat trailer bearings yearly if I use the boat as they get submerged, I have never serviced the front wheel bearings on any vehicles I have owned, so why do the trailer bearings annually?

Call Dexter Axle (574) 295-7888 and talk to one of their technical experts and they will tell you not to use the EZ Lube feature.  Hand pack your bearings.  Also, if you use the EZ lube feature, not only will you not know if you blow out the grease seal, you will use a lot of grease to fill all the void before the grease will flow out to your front bearings.

JFN said:
I do my boat trailer bearings yearly if I use the boat as they get submerged, I have never serviced the front wheel bearings on any vehicles I have owned, so why do the trailer bearings annually?

TT bearings require more attention because of the stress the box exerts on the the wheels.  Side to side sway, and such. I do think annual repacking is a bit extreme unless you are putting the 10-12k miles on it that require repacking. IMO pulling the hub and checking the grease on the bearings (and reacting accordingly) is probably sufficient if the trailer is being used only 2k or so a year, and maybe repack every few years. 

Bearings don't just fail out of the blue.  They give you signs.  I check my wheels for any signs of wobble before leaving home or any campground, and place my hand on the wheels every time I stop for gas,or any other reason, looking for abnormal heat buildup.  I feel if you are at least a bit conscientious it goes a long way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom