Boondocking in Quartzite/KOFA Areas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camperAL

Hi Everyone,

I've not posted to this section of the forum yet, but now have some questions. Wondering when camped in those areas, if people have the mouse problems that can be experienced in the Gilbert Ray areas? Being in a nature setting, I understand that you are in their turf but still wondering if there are difficulties?

Also being an amateur astronomer, wondered how safe it is to be out at night when a lot of the predators are moving around and hunting? While I would stay very close to the coach, wondering how close mountain lions can get in the KOFA area?

The idea of boondocking in these regions is appealing. I'd like to see how long we could go in our coach. I figured taking a little extra gas and water, we could possibly go the full 14 days. I am basing this off the time we stretched things out at campgrounds while not connected to things other than electric. Figuring on running the generator on board no more than 6 to 7 hours each day.

Part of the fun is trying and finding out what you can do.

Hi Al. We've been boondocking at KOFA for more than 20 years, several times a year. It's our favorite place to camp. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E1OOmiy5N8

We've camped alone and in groups, deep in the preserve and as close as a mile from the highway (95). We've hiked for miles and explored the area on foot and in Jeeps. I know Pumas are there, but we've never even seen one. The only wildlife issues we've ever had were when a critter of some kind (probably a coyote) got in our trash in the middle of the night.

It's a great place to star gaze and just relax. There's no place to dump or get water nearby (Quartzsite is about 28 miles north, Yuma 45 miles south) but it's beautiful boondocking for sure.

Kev

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply! I take it then you have not had any mouse problems. When we were renting a fifthwheel near Gilbert Ray, all the land owners put lights under their RV's and cars and trucks as the long tail mice get into places and eat things like wires. Apparently lights keep them out. Mice there can do a lot of damage to vehicles.

I'll look up mountain lions and try to get an idea of their behavior at night. I looked on the KOFA gov. site and got no idea of what to expect. I could call them up and ask. I know mountain lions are less likely to attack a larger person or group. I've hiked in Oregon solo before where they are at. Still one person by themselves at night might be an invitation.

I am leaning hard on doing this at least one time.

We've seen wild burros, rabbits, coyotes, lizards and birds, but no mice. Big horn sheep roam the area too, but we haven't been fortunate enough to see them.

Kev

Hi,

Wouldn't mind running into a few RV Forum members there sometime. Telescope and stars would be on me!

Keeping a healthy distance from the big horn sheep (if you see them) would be a priority. I figure the areas I have seen where people are camping, aren't loaded with vegetation, so mice running across an open area would probably end up a meal for various other animals in the region.

Also, wondering, after you camp for 14 days and dump and resupply, my understanding it you can camp again as long as it is 25 miles further down the road. So on could spend a month or more if you wanted to. Thanks for the re-enforcement!

AL

camperAL said:
Hi,

Wouldn't mind running into a few RV Forum members there sometime. Telescope and stars would be on me!

AL
Several Forum members have expressed the same sentiments about hooking up at KOFA in cooler months. A lot of them will be at the Quartzsite RV show in January, so maybe they won't mind heading a little further south to KOFA for another mini rally. We camp there in Jan, Feb & mid March, so lets keep it in mind for early 2018 - and I'll take you up on your telescope offer.

Kev

Hi,

It's my goal to attend the Quartzite gathering sometime with forum members and then hitting KOFA area seems like a good way to go when you are already there. Quartzite seems a bit scary with as many people who attend. I would like to check out as many tents and possibly do some updates on our coach. Dumping tanks and resupplying water/food/fuel seems like it could be less than fun, in order to head out to KOFA with so many other RV'ers in one place.

I have to see if it is possible to get away for these events as we sometimes have other obligations that keep us home. With that said I will make an effort to get out that way and meet up with folks. I'll most likely comment when the time is closer. I would enjoy meeting some more forum members! Best and thanks!

Hey Post 1000! I'm catching up to Gary Brinck  ;) ::)

Quartzite seems a bit scary with as many people who attend.

Not sure why you would think Q is scary.  It's a really big desert and people are pretty well scattered around.  It easily fits everyone.  And RVers are a pretty tame bunch!  We've been attending every January since maybe the mid-1980s.  The sunsets alone are worth the visit.  And, of course, if you come down to the BLM area 541 you'll find a bunch of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet - the RV Forum folk!

ArdraF

What are the typical day/night temps. in Quartzite in January?  Also what is "KOFA".

Daytime can be shorts weather in Q, although in recent years we haven't worn shorts much.  Look at the photos taken at the Quartzsite rallies and you'll find us in shorts some years and bundled up in parkas in other years.  We go prepared for both extremes.  Evenings tend to be on the cool side when the campfire feels good, but the day of our 2017 potluck was lovely and we all sat outside for a long time into the evening.  KOFA is the abbreviation for King of Arizona in Yuma Co., AZ.

ArdraF

"K of A" was the stamp of the King of Arizona gold mine, a large operation that started in the 1890s.  The mountain range surrounding the mine is known as the KOFA Mountains.

ArdraF said:
Not sure why you would think Q is scary.  It's a really big desert and people are pretty well scattered around.  It easily fits everyone.  And RVers are a pretty tame bunch!  We've been attending every January since maybe the mid-1980s.  The sunsets alone are worth the visit.  And, of course, if you come down to the BLM area 541 you'll find a bunch of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet - the RV Forum folk!

ArdraF
I was also spooked at the thought of a hundred thousand rigs, but Ardra is right that the desert is huge. When we were at the rally this year, we had plenty of space between rigs. If you want to be by yourself (not at the rally) there are plenty of spots for that too.

Lou, thanks very interesting, I found this:
https://www.mindat.org/loc-13854.html

Len and Jo said:
What are the typical day/night temps. in Quartzite in January?  Also what is "KOFA".
It can get frosty.  ;) dawn at the Q Jan. 2016

Attachments

• 10906184_10203456110872198_6994780678641857577_n.jpg
    10906184_10203456110872198_6994780678641857577_n.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 79
UTTransplant said:
I was also spooked at the thought of a hundred thousand rigs, but Ardra is right that the desert is huge. When we were at the rally this year, we had plenty of space between rigs. If you want to be by yourself (not at the rally) there are plenty of spots for that too.

This is true. we were about a half mile from the dump site and weren't crowded a bit.

Attachments

• Quartzsite blm.jpg
    Quartzsite blm.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 78
Here are some sample photos from various years that show our RV Forum rally in the BLM land known as Section 541 or Road 541.  Some years are warm and some years are cool.  Once in a while it's wet but mostly dry.  Attire is casual!  Sunsets and rainbows are wonderful.  And framily is the best!

ArdraF

Attachments

• YMCA 2002.JPG
    YMCA 2002.JPG
    217.9 KB · Views: 120
  • RV Forum at Area 541 in 2002.jpg
    RV Forum at Area 541 in 2002.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Rainbow 2004.JPG
    Rainbow 2004.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Omelette Breakfast 2004.JPG
    Omelette Breakfast 2004.JPG
    286.7 KB · Views: 91
  • QZ RV Forum 2005.JPG
    QZ RV Forum 2005.JPG
    261.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Sunset 2005.jpg
    Sunset 2005.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Happy Hour 2017.JPG
    Happy Hour 2017.JPG
    223.6 KB · Views: 94
The pictures indicate cooler temps than I'd hoped for.

2018 will be our first year away from the cold and sometimes down right brutal N. Illinois winter.

Quartzite and KOFA are in our sights for at least a few weeks in late Jan, early Feb. Are there any plans or organization for forum members to meet up?

Tom

2017 was our 1st time to a rally in the Q it was a bit cold but better then in Michigan, It was a great time and we met a bunch of great folks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom