Boondocking in Quartzite/KOFA Areas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Weather during the Quartzsite rally varies a lot as the photos show (seldom cold enough for parkas!) and most of us wear jeans and sweatshirts with warmer jackets early in the morning and in the evening.  The Quartzsite rally isn't something we really plan but whoever is available during the RV show arrives in the 541 area a day or so before the show starts.  That's about two miles south of town on the west side of U.S. 95 at the second ranger entry station.  The 35th Annual Sports, Vacation and RV Show will be from Jan 20-28, 2018.  Watch the Rallies, Shows and Events board for someone to start a 2018 Quartzsite discussion.

ArdraF

Yeah, it occasionally gets below freezing in January in Quartzsite, but the average low temp is about 40F, and it starts warming up from there. Camping in KOFA is exactly like camping in Quartzsite - just without all the people. As the dates gets closer, I'll start posting about some KOFA dates after the Quartzsite show. I know a few places off of Kings RD that can handle a group of RVs, but I'm open to suggestions if anyone else has any preferences.

Kev 

Is there a dress code? Do you allow pluggers and dirt bikers? Mild old dirt bikers, not noisy crazy dirt bikers. :)  We usually stay on Plamosa and have been over by Bouse but would like to check out Kofa.

Hi QZ. KOFA is a preserve, so off-roading in the traditional sense isn't allowed. There are several dirt roads you can ride/drive on, that run through the preserve, and we drive our Jeep on them all the time, but they're pretty benign. A 2WD vehicle with a little extra ground clearance could handle them.

Kev

I see. That will work for us. Of course we are older and have low key bikes so we're not going crazy tearing stuff up. My DW rides too so we go out cruising around. We have ridden the trails off of Plamosa Rd toward Bouse and south to 10.  There are some pretty rugged trails back in there. It's easy to get used to one place but I hope to check out KOFA and the other areas down that way this winter.  I'll watch for your posts and possibly see y'all out there.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I'd let everyone know when we're going to be at KOFA - just in case others wanted to join us. Well, if anyone's still interested, we'll be there from Tuesday January 9th 2018 through at least Friday the 12th. We may stay a little longer - we'll see.

If anyone's interested in joining us, you're more than welcome. Let me know and I'll post some specifics on where we'll be. It's serious boondocking, with no water, dumping or services for nearly 30 miles, but it's easy to get to (even for big rigs) and a beautiful place to relax - and it's free.

Kev

Hi Kevin and all,

Our plans are still more or less up in the air on KOFA. We've been helping kids out and I am behind (just slower than use to be) on getting some things done here in the sticks and brick. If I can get some important items done then would be up to heading out that way and meeting up with some of the amazing people here on the forum who camp there. I'll let you know when time get closer.

I hope others make an effort to attend and enjoy the area!

So we're meandering around the country, living and working full-time in our rig. Haven't done much boondocking and aren't set up to go long without running the generator. We'll likely be in the area come January (or can be... might as well take advantage of having wheels under our house?).
Is running gennys ok at Q and KOFA?  Guessing there's enough room that generators and non can keep distanced?

Hi Laura and Charles,

Kevin and some other can probably answer this better but I'll take a stab. Little vegetation in the area so I'd say generator use is o.k. but as in campgrounds, I'd not run it past 9 or 10 p.m. and not too early in the morning. Some people take a low noise generator to use and that might be in order to just run the bare essentials until you need the bigger generator on the motorhome for a/c and so forth.

H LauraCharles... sorry I didn't respond sooner. I just noticed your question about generators. Generator use is fine, and like Al said, no one seems to mind as long as they're not woken up by them. We've noticed that when camping with a group, and generators are needed, most people tend to sync up their generator run-times in the late morning and/or early evening. That way it doesn't seem like they're running non-stop.

If you've got solar, you won't find many places in the country that provide more solar power. Of course if it's cloudy, it's back to generator power. We hope you can join us.

Kev

Back
Top Bottom