Mice, Bugs and other Critters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After 3 years in one spot In Georgia I had a SERIOUS roach issue.. Someone recommended diatomaceous earth (spelling?)  Or DE as it is called.. I got "Food Grade" as opposed to swimming pool grade.. Still have a few of 'em left.. but .. Not many.  And not many reach adulthood either.

SeilerBird said:
I am taking John's advice and I ordered a box from Amazon. I have had a minor roach problem for years and I have tried everything except these.

If that doesnt work for you, the advion will!  They will be on their backs feet in the air the next day!

SeilerBird said:
I am taking John's advice and I ordered a box from Amazon. I have had a minor roach problem for years and I have tried everything except these.
Did it work for you?  We have roaches in our garage and short of drilling out concrete so the doors fit better, we have an open door for the critters.

Graycat said:
Did it work for you?  We have roaches in our garage and short of drilling out concrete so the doors fit better, we have an open door for the critters.

Try ordering advion from amazon.  It really worked great for us.

Graycat said:
No, they were a complete waste of $20. For the last week the cockroaches have been really thick around here. I am killing at least a dozen a day. I spray Raid Ant and Roach killer every time I see one.

Peggyy said:
If you need to get rid of roaches we highly recommend this.  advion.  You just put a little in the corners.  Though i have not used it in camper, itworked at my house. 
https://www.amazon.com/advion-Cockroach-Bait-4-syringes-1-06/dp/B002Y2GNVM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1532115853&sr=8-3&keywords=avion+roach+killer+gel&dpID=416aZuQSD4L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
I am going to take Peggyys advice and order some. Thanks Peggyy.

Peggyy said:
Try ordering advion from amazon.  It really worked great for us.
Thanks, I'll try that too.  Does it work on crickets?  I think the crickets are worse than anything right now.  They even said that it is cricket season on tv.  I didn't know crickets had a season.

Graycat said:
Thanks, I'll try that too.  Does it work on crickets?  I think the crickets are worse than anything right now.  They even said that it is cricket season on tv.  I didn't know crickets had a season.
I ordered it from Az and it will be here Tuesday. I will report back on Wednesday.

Years ago I started buying the stuff from do-it-yourself pest control stores.  they were selling the same stuff the pro exterminators spray, but just "last year's model".  I'd spray that stuff every 6 months to a year and the only bugs I'd ever see were dead...and only a few of those then no more for a long time.  I knew it was time to spray again when I'd see one not quite dead yet...

Eventually I ran out of that stuff and the replacement I bought wasn't as good (of course)...still pretty good though.  When that ran out I tried this stuff, or one of the competitor's equals...  there are a few brands that are similar
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ortho-Home-Defense-Max-1-33-Gal-Perimeter-and-Indoor-Insect-Killer-with-Wand-022150004/300569500
I'd say just about as good as the 2nd round of "professional" stuff I had.  Been using this kind of thing ever since...
I spray around outside my house, and at some strategic places inside, and I don't find that I need to very often.  Spray the RV with it too, sorta around the under carriage, fenders, and such...every where I can easily get to that's out of direct weather...and some inside once in a rare while.... just to keep ants and such down.

Actually, time to do it again I think....

Yeah!! I would also like to suggest you keep mice bait or cover the hole with the net so that the unwanted guests like mice, rats, cockroaches won't come back. From your experience, I suddenly got remember about the garage incident happened a year ago at one of my friend's house. His garage was infested with rodents and small mice, though he used many techniques to recover the damage caused by them still the rat infestation was there. Then after discussing all this problem with one of his friends he suggested him to contact rodent exterminator nyc and exterminate the rats permanently.

Peggyy said:
Please let me know.  It is easy to use!
Yes it is easy to use. I got it a few days ago and I have been picking up dead cockroaches all day yesterday. It appears to be working. It is better than anything else I have tried. Raid Ant and Roach Killer does a nice job of killing them but it smells and it doesn't work on the eggs. Most all the cockroaches I picked up yesterday were either dead or dying. They made no attempt to escape. I picked them up with a Kleenex and crushed them.

SeilerBird said:
Yes it is easy to use. I got it a few days ago and I have been picking up dead cockroaches all day yesterday. It appears to be working. It is better than anything else I have tried. Raid Ant and Roach Killer does a nice job of killing them but it smells and it doesn't work on the eggs. Most all the cockroaches I picked up yesterday were either dead or dying. They made no attempt to escape. I picked them up with a Kleenex and crushed them.

yea!  Glad it worked for you!  It is better than any exterminator we have used!

Peggyy said:
yea!  Glad it worked for you!  It is better than any exterminator we have used!
I am still finding cockroaches but they are usually dying. They don't run away from me when I pick them up with a Kleenex and crush them. The exterminator I used once was a huge waste of money. $120 and all they did was walk around and spray the house in all the obvious places. I could have done the same thing with a can of Raid and they were not effective at all.

Here is a shocking achievement in my war with the bugs. I was shopping in the outdoor section of Walmart buying a hose and some wild bird seed when I spied a rack of small Venus Flytraps for sale for only $5. I bought one on a whim. This morning there were two cockroaches that had been caught in the jaws of the flytrap. The leaves with the first one is too close to the camera to see but the second one with the bigger cockroach is on the left.

Attachments

• Venus.jpg
    Venus.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 33
Peggyy said:
I heard irish spring soap will keep mice out of the camper.  Has anyone tried this?

I have never tried the soap but I've tried everything else and nothing worked. I've tried peppermint soaked cotton balls, moth balls, electronic device by Black and Decker, and Bounce sheets. I still use the B & D device because it has a night light in it. The only thing the Bounce sheets did was it made the RV smell good when we opened it up in the spring. Also the damn critters used our bedspread as a toilet which was covered with the Bounce sheets.
The only thing I've been able to do to keep them to a minimum is to kill them. I use to use the standard mouse traps which worked great but they had to be checked every couple of days. Then I went to a bucket trap I mentioned earlier. That's the ultimate trap.

Peggyy said:
I heard irish spring soap will keep mice out of the camper.  Has anyone tried this?
I heard this from another source awhile ago. I'm in the process of adding a chunk to every bay, engine compartment and genny compartment.
I also love the old style traps with the steel triggers. I keep a few of those in the coach baited with peanut butter. Very effective, plus I get confirmation of the kill.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom