Pledge on painted fiberglass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
This from someone who has waxed fiberglass (with gel coat) boats for years with carnuba paste wax, and has maintained the full-body paint on our coach with occasional liquid polish such as Turtle Wax, and periodic washing with a car wash such as Zip Wax.

When we bought a used golf cart a couple of years ago, Chris asked the dealer the best way to maintain the painted fiberglass finish. He told her to just use Pledge spray furniture polish. I was skeptical, but so far I've been impressed with the results.

what about attracting dust ?

have you ever heard about the "Mop-n-Glow" thing ?

[quote author=TonyDtorch]what about attracting dust ? [/quote]

It doesn't appear to attract more dust than expected on these dusty streets.

Yes, and it's not something I would apply to any of our boats, coaches, or utility vehicles.

A side note and kind of off the subject, but another great use for lemon pledge is to reduce the visibility of fine scratches in eyeglasses.  Remember the commercials for a scratch remover?  The optician I use told me pledge works better than that stuff, so I tried it and it works great.

I used lemon pledge to gloss up my ATV.  Not only did it make a sparkle on my dirt toy, it also helped clean it faster after a dirt filled day.  I used it on all the metal components as well as the plastic body.  Honestly, I was a bit surprised that it worked so well.

Try Eagle One Nano Wax,,,, goes on like Pledge, but will last and protect a lot longer.

I've been using Lemon Pledge as a quick detailer on my motorcycle for years.  Nothing around here is as shiny as my bike!

Hi Tom and all,

Your post on this subject came at the right time as I was washing, detailing, and hitting the motor home with my regular spray polish.

What I found out while I was doing this, I used pledge on the bottom sections of the motor home. I tried it on the white upper portion but it didn't shine much (probably due to lost of gel coat). The lower portion of the motor home really looks good! (thank you Tom!!!) The upper portion I simply used Armorall spray wax which seem to do the trick for the most part. Some dull areas but looks better than the pledge, shine wise. I tend to use regular Armorall for my areas that have rubber on them as it really protects from UV.

I read somewhere, your not suppose to use dish soap. Duh......I read that after I used dish soap, which was Dawn. It was suggested that it would break down the gel coat. They say to use baby shampoo and a small amount of vinegar instead. Washing, waxing, detailing, Windexing the windows and cleaning the roof probably took me a total of 8 hours over a couple of days. The Pledge part probably save an hour or more. It's easy to redo when the time comes.

Like was said above I use Pledge on my JD Gator and it works great.  I don't worry about trying to shine my camper because the paint was already shot when I bought it.  But on my truck I have started using "Wax as you Dry" (I think by Maguire's).  It works awesome on painted metal and is as easy as just drying of vehicle with towel.

TonyDtorch said:
what about attracting dust ?

TonyDtorch
I believe the "Mop-n-Glow" thing is for RV roofs..... (NOT painted fiberglass).

Hi,

I've looked on the net but can't find any references to the "Mop and Glow Thing"

Can someone define?

Al, use the Search button above with the search term "Mop and Glow", including quotes.

I fell for that once. Never again. The Mop and Glow worked for about 2 months, until it started to deteriorate. Then I had a mess on my hands for months after.  White milky streaks down the side every time it got a little wet.  I finally had to do the whole roof with floor wax stripper to get it back to normal.  Lesson learned...

There is more than one variety of Pledge.  Be sure to avoid Pledge with beeswax, which used to be an ingredient in most or all Pledge years ago.  If you used Pledge on a tabletop with beeswax and you put a beverage glass that left a moist ring you would find a white ring  from absorption of water by the beeswax.  I would imagine a similar thing could happen on an RV.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom