Common Maintenance Items

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvannie23

Hi guys...I've been full timing for two and half years now. Parked except for a few trips (and moving spots/parks close by) I'm wondering what other major maintenance items I may be overlooking. This is what I have done regularly (sort of) for the last two years:

Roof walk around (about 10 times bc I was nervous) looked at all the caulking on the vents etc.
maintained tire pressure
Cleaned out pine needles and random junk from gutters
Maintained lube on slide out wires, jacks, and steps.
Removed and vacuumed out the floor vents
Defrosted the freezer (a lot)

Am I missing anything? I don't have any issues at the moment but I also don't want any that could have been prevented. Thanks!!

House and engine batteries-clean out any corrosion
electric/mechanical steps-apply grease

Clean or replace the air condition filter.
It should be done on a regular basis, (monthly if the A/C unit is used a lot.
We usually wash ours out several times before replacing it.

Lub the awning bracket handle once a year with silicon spray. If it is motor operated, lube all the hinges and moving parts

Jack L

Repack bearings every year, check brake pads/magnets, flush out water heater, sanitize the fresh water system every few months.

Thanks everyone. Good point on sanitizing the freshwater system...I rarely use it so it's definitely been neglected. I will add that and the others to my list.

Any tips on flushing the hot water heater? Or why I would have to? I use all the hot water in the tank (it's 6 gallons) twice a day when I shower. Is there some type of build up that occurrs? I don't believe I have the anode type with the rod. Though I could be wrong.

rvannie23 said:
Thanks everyone. Good point on sanitizing the freshwater system...I rarely use it so it's definitely been neglected. I will add that and the others to my list.

Any tips on flushing the hot water heater? Or why I would have to? I use all the hot water in the tank (it's 6 gallons) twice a day when I shower. Is there some type of build up that occurrs? I don't believe I have the anode type with the rod. Though I could be wrong.

You can buy a flusher from Home Depot and Walmart. Sediment will settle to the bottom.
If your heater is a Atwood, you will not have the anode.

You might want to add water to your house batteries, or at least check the water level, assuming they are not the sealed kind.

Also, I had the cover of my roof AC removed for the first time last summer by the service guy and he cleaned a lot of dust and road dirt out of the coils and stuff. 

Back
Top Bottom