2005 Southeast Fall Rally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We agree Gary, all your ideas sound good! Can we get firewood there at the campsite or ? We didn't stock up this year like we usually do, but will try to find some and bring it if needed.

Do you think there is a chance we can talk Ray into making one of those incredible cakes? Are there any other requests for goodies that we can bring or fix?

Inquiring minds (and growling tumies) want to know? :D

David & Joanne Derway

Hi Dave,
Yeah, we can always use wood.  I figure we can always buy some locally if necessary, though.  The campground's ad says they sell firewood at the store.  Or maybe Dave Reavis can bring some as well.

I guess we will have to include a "Romeo" day in the agenda, then.  Maybe while the ladies are playing at Red Hat? 

Although ROMSAD seems to be the norm anyway. ROMSAD = Retired Old Men Sitting Around Drinking ;D ;D ;D

Nancy just had another idea. We are carrying our big Hamilton electric roaster with us, so we could put 2-3 big pork roast in it and let them simmer away while some foil-wrapped taters bake on a grill or over a campfire.  That way nobody has to cook anything and we can all enjoy happy hour.

Speaking of Happy Hour(s), bring your favorite hors deouvres recipes/ingedients and try them out on your friends. Don't everybody make them on the first day, though. Spread out the treats thru thw whole week!

Another thought: For those who are arriving early (Nancy & I will be there on 10/30), remember 10/31 is Halloween.  We aren't planning a full-boat Halloween event as in last years Fall Rally, but some decorations and snacks appropriate to the day would be in order.  Maybe some pickled bat wings?

In the interest of making this thread a more easily read source of information regarding the Fall Rally, I have editted out some of the chit-chat. Hope nobody takes offense!

Dave & Gary -

The fixin's for pineapple upside-down cake(s) are/will be on the coach and I expect to make at least one <VBG>!

We intend to arrive early in the week and stay until Monday. From there we will be heading West and then South to the 'Valley' and our winter residence.

--  Ray & Ladonna  --

Gary,

I'm not going to make it.  As you know I decided to go back to work part time and started monday.  It looks like I'll be up here until Thanksgiving and then back after New Years.

I'm limited to 999 hours per rolling year and plan to get into a Jan-Mar, July-Sep routine that won't interfer with the important things like SE Rallys and cutting & hauling brush.  But like I said, I just started so...

I haven't called Amy yet in case somebody needs my spot.

Joel

Joel...
We are going to miss you and Camille - but that won't stop us from talking about you! [lol].  Have fun in NY and enjoy he snow.

Are you living in the Sunnybrook or did you go the motel route?

What's happening at the rally?

For those who haven't attended before...
There is no official place, time or method for anything and we may (as a group) decide to alter this outline as we go along.  However, this is how things usually go.  Folks usually gather for a Koffee Klatch each morning around 9 am, a Social Hour around 4 pm and an evening campfire. Look around and see where folks are gathering and join in when and if you feel like it. Feel free to start it off at your own site or your neighbors - there is no designated place or time.  Dinner will generally be around 6:30 or so and will probably be at the club house (which we have reserved for this purpose) but might just evolve at whatever site we have gathered at for the afternoon social.  In between times, amuse yourselves at local attractions or just hang out.

We will arrive no later than 10/30 and I expect at least a few other early birds. The official rally start (if there is anything "official" at all  at a Roaming Freinds RV Forum  forum rally) is still uesday, 11/1.

PRE-RALLY FOR EARLY ARRIVERS...
10/31 MONDAY: EARLY BIRD HALLOWEEN FUN!
Bring some ghastly goodies for a special Halloween Happy Hour. Be creative! Maybe some Devil's eggs, Demon rum-balls, Pumpkin seeds, etc.

And there will be Ghoul-ash for Dinner!

And here is a tentative agenda for the main days of the rally...

11/1 TUESDAY 2005 SE RALLY KICK-OFF DINNER
We haven't figured out what the menu is yet, but just bring your appetite, utensils and drinks. Rally hosts Nancy & Gary will do the cooking.

11/2 WEDNESDAY:  POT LICK DINNER
Bring your famous casserole or maybe try out a new recipe on the gang. We don't mind being guinea pigs and if it is a flop, well, there are always plenty of other dishes to choose among.

11/3 THURSDAY:  RED HAT & ROMEO DAY
Get out your red and purple attire, ladies, because it is Red Hat Tea Time! Nancy has some fun and games planned, but she hopes others mght think up some fun activities too. The guys will hide out somewhere, probably a doing a ROMEO (Retired Old Men Eating Out). Who knows - maybe there's a Hooter's in Tifton???

Dinner: Dave & Jeanette Reavis are bringing us some authentic North Carolina BBQ

11/4 FRIDAY:  MEN'S BRUNCH
This is one of our Southeast Rally traditions - the men cook a late breakfast and clean up afterwards, while the ladies chat and enjoy a day off from cooking.  Contribute some eggs, sausage, bacon, pancake syrup, or whatever.  Our target is to serve about 10:30 am, but it's pretty much a case of "whatever will be, will be."

Dinner: Probably left overs - we usually have plenty by then.

11/5 SATURDAY:  ???
Probably dinner in a local restaurant.

11/6 SUNDAY: Some people will be leaving, so it will be farewells in the morning and a "survivors dinner" at night (TBD)

RV Roamer said:
Joel...
Are you living in the Sunnybrook or did you go the motel route?

Surely you jest.  I thought that dealing with upstate NY cold in the winter was more than I wanted to take on.  If I could find an rv park that was open.  Advertised dates here are April - October.

I rented a house from a friend who happened to have an extra house available.

I'll call Amy today and cancel.

Joel I thought we had taught you better than that.  Going to work is one thing but going to work in the cold snow country?????? ??? ??? ???
There are jobs in the warm sunny south. ;D ;D

For those attending the Southeast Rally, please keep a sharp eye out for the Amy's Campground entrance.  The sign is hidden by overgrown bushes and you don't see it until you have nearly missed it.

When going west on Central Ave from Exit 60, you will see a huge Target Distribution Center. You creast a small hill as you pass the Target buildings and the campground entrance is about 500 feet beyond the crest [on the right], so slow down!

Nancy & I arrived a Amy's today and have begun to check out the surrounding area for stores, restaurants, etc.  The campground is pretty full, with a small Airsteam Rally and a number of people are in town for a Sweet Potato Festival this weekend.  It should thin out quite a bit on Sunday, according to  Pricilla.  I am also trying out the wi-fi service from Coach Connect.  The signal strength seems to vary a lot but I am generally getting excellent response I signed up for the $18/week option.

We are on our way.  We are now in Athens Ga. visiting our daughter and her husband.  Hoping she will be getting her Phd by the end of this year from UGA.  Will find the enterance to the park on Tuesday afternoon.  Are you sure the only things we need for Tuesdays dinner is silverware and drinks?  Sounds like work for the two of you but thanks.

Len and Jo

Len & Jo,
Plates, silverware & drinks are all you need.  You folks are driving on Tuesday, whereas we have all day to prepare.  Besides, we have mastered the art of simple meals that don't need a lot of fussing by the chef.

Hors d'ouvres for happy hour are always welcome, though.

Dave & Jeanette Reavis called last night to say they will not be at the rally afterall.  Jeanette's uncle died suddenly and so they are off to Newfoundland today for the funeral.  The uncle was a favorite and also was instrumental in getting Dave & Jeanette married many years ago (Dave was stationed in NF while in the military and met Jeanette there).

Yikes! Newfoundland at this time of year?  Brrr!  And Dave says he could buy half a season's worth of diesel for the price of their airline tickets - there are no "Supersaver" fares to Newfoundland.

On the plus side, Wayne & Judy Malone will be joining us.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom