MB300 Front Wheel Differences

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frederic

Why were some MB300 motorhomes installed with the single-style 8-lug wheels up front, while other MB300s got the extended hub and a dually wheel? Here are two pictures showing the different wheels I'm talking about. Our MB300 has the single-style wheels up front, and it seems like it's going to be a pain in the butt, because if you get a flat in the rear, you have no spare tire; the spare that came with our motorhome is for the front only.

It should be possible to add the hub extensions up front, right? Is there more to it than that, and where do you find the hub extensions, because I've looked online and have only been able to find one for sale on eBay. Does anyone know the part # I would need?

Attachments

• 1976 Dodge Brougham.jpg
    1976 Dodge Brougham.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 1976 Dodge Fireball.jpg
    1976 Dodge Fireball.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 18
This may help:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,105348.msg948980.html#msg948980

kdbgoat said:
This may help:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,105348.msg948980.html#msg948980

No, it doesn't, because that was my post from last month, and the responses never answered the question.

Back in the day, rotating wheel/tire positions was de rigueur, so having different wheels on the front & rear was an inconvenience. Having all wheel positions the same was worth a modest increase in cost.

Now that tires wear much better and front suspensions stay in alignment for long periods, rotating wheels/tires is of little concern. Despite that, modern dually vehicles usually have compatible "dually" wheels front & rear.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Back in the day, rotating wheel/tire positions was de rigueur, so having different wheels on the front & rear was an inconvenience. Having all wheel positions the same was worth a modest increase in cost.

Now that tires wear much better and front suspensions stay in alignment for long periods, rotating wheels/tires is of little concern. Despite that, modern dually vehicles usually have compatible "dually" wheels front & rear.

I get that, Gary, but that doesn't answer the question as to why two MB300s of the same year have two different style wheels up front.

The only two things I can think of off the top of my head would be cost, and axle weight ratings.

Looking around on the 'net, I ran across this:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/14219250/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1

It's a thread started almost 13 years ago, and still active as of yesterday. 691!!! pages. There may be some answers for you there.

Doing some more looking, I find M300 and B300, but no MB300. Checking out some pics online, I would almost bet that the Brougham in the pic started out as a single rear wheel chassis, and the duallies were added later. The rears were probably the same on both SWR and DWR. Kinda like old "bread trucks"

kdbgoat said:
Looking around on the 'net, I ran across this:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/14219250/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1

It's a thread started almost 13 years ago, and still active as of yesterday. 691!!! pages. There may be some answers for you there.

As Sheriff Buford T. Justice once said, "Ooof!"

I've got some reading to do...

kdbgoat said:
Doing some more looking, I find M300 and B300, but no MB300. Checking out some pics online, I would almost bet that the Brougham in the pic started out as a single rear wheel chassis, and the duallies were added later. The rears were probably the same on both SWR and DWR. Kinda like old "bread trucks"

Here's some literature on the MB300.

Attachments

• MB300-1.jpg
    MB300-1.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 9
  • MB300-2.jpg
    MB300-2.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 8
  • MB300-3.jpg
    MB300-3.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts