House batteries question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raidmagic

First I'm working on the assumption they are called house batteries. I'm referring to the ones under the step (07 Forest River). There are 2 of them and they don't say what voltage they are, so, 1) what voltage are these? They are dead, won't work the slide outs or landing gear. Manual says they require voltage to operate. I plugged into shore power for a few days, nothing. Today I started the engine and let it idle for about 10 minutes. Once I did that I was able to get the slide out to come back in. My thought is take it for a drive and charge up the batteries but I wonder why they wouldn't charge on shore power. Should I buy a battery tender and install it on them? Can I just throw my normal charger on them or should I disconnect them from the system first?

Just purchased this unit and it has been sitting unplugged and unused for a few months. Batteries are new (less than a year old) and still have warranty so I'd like to figure out if they are still good or if I need to see about replacing them. With as quickly as they charged and let me use the slide out I'd think they are good I just need to get a good charge in them and maintain it.

Thanks for any helpl.

The batteries are probably 6vdc.  One way to make sure is to see how many filler caps each battery has.  If there are three caps on each battery, they are each 6vdc.  If there are 6 filler caps on each battery they are 12vdc.  I would use a hydrometer to check the cells and then charge them with a battery charger.

Even new batteries will discharge over time when not plugged in. Try putting a charger on them but make sure you pick out the 6 volt or 12 volt setting on the charger.  Leave plugged in for a few days and try the slides then on battery power.

Bill

Also, remember a battery tender will maintain the battery charge. It will not however bring a low or dead battery up. Trying to charge a dead battery with a tender will usually kill the maintainer. I found this out the hard way. :-X

What voltage are they?

Two (well 3) methods
1: Voltmeter (Hard way)
2: Filler caps times 2 (3 caps or one triple cap = 6 volt,  6 caps or 2 triple caps =12)
3: how are they wired

-Battery+
-Battery+ Both  postives qnd negatifves tied together  12  volt

-Battery_==-Battery+  (The positive on one tied to the negative on the other), ONce removed 6 Volt.

Suggestion: Before removal paint all wires hooked to the POSITIVE terminal(s) that do NOT go to the othe batterty red
And Black on the Negative wires.. Nail polish, spray paint, tape anything

Also if more than one wire attached,  Tie them together with twist ties when you take 'em off to be sure you put 'em all back on.

OK so first, thanks for the replies. They are 12v good call. I forgot that little cap trick. So with my new found info I'm going to charge  them and then I should be good to go. Thanks again

Another question.  Is there a switch that connects the charger or is that automatic also I have a "connect to coach" switch but it stays lit when I click either connect or disconnect.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom