First-time to drive RV - Santa Fe - Pagosa Springs - Fun Valley

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tommyp

We have rented a 30-ft Motorhome and are looking for the best way to get from Abilene, TX to Fun Valley Family Resort in South Fork, CO.  The subject approach route looks by far more scenic than the alternative through Raton-Trinidad-Alamosa.

However, I have flown the "scenic" route in Google Earth and see that there is a pretty tight turn not long before you get to Wolf Creek Pass on US 160.  I also see that there is an 8% grade up to Wolf Creek Pass coming out of Pagosa Springs.

How treacherous is this route?  Is this a "no big deal" or a "you might want to consider an alternative?"

Many Thanks!

Is there a reason you're going to Pagosa Springs to get to South Fork? If not, I would take 285 out of Santa Fe to Alamosa then 160 to South Fork.

We used to drive to our son's mother-in-law's in Westcliff, Co. from AZ. quite often. We would take 160 all the way from Tuba City, AZ. to Walsenburg, Co. then 69 into Westcliff. The other way was 160 to Del Norte 112 to 285 to Salida then 50 to 69 down to Westcliff.

Don't remember a tight turn on 160. There are semis going both directions on 160 so you shouldn't have any problems.

Wolf Creek Pass is steep both up and down no matter which direction you're going. I've been across it several times with a 38' diesel motor home, with toad. You pick a gear and speed you want, set the cruise control and enjoy the scenery going up. Going down, slow down to about 35mph down shift to the gear you went up in, engage the engine brake and enjoy the scenery.

Wolf Creek Pass is famous:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHb_0Lhegig 

I went down the pass into Pagosa Springs about 18 years ago pulling a trailer. I kept it in 2nd gear at about 20 mph. 

Do NOT ride your brakes going down that pass.

For a 1st timer I'd suggest using a different route or being very cautious.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
Is there a reason you're going to Pagosa Springs to get to South Fork? If not, I would take 285 out of Santa Fe to Alamosa then 160 to South Fork.

We used to drive to our son's mother-in-law's in Westcliff, Co. from AZ. quite often. We would take 160 all the way from Tuba City, AZ. to Walsenburg, Co. then 69 into Westcliff. The other way was 160 to Del Norte 112 to 285 to Salida then 50 to 69 down to Westcliff.

Don't remember a tight turn on 160. There are semis going both directions on 160 so you shouldn't have any problems.

Wolf Creek Pass is steep both up and down no matter which direction you're going. I've been across it several times with a 38' diesel motor home, with toad. You pick a gear and speed you want, set the cruise control and enjoy the scenery going up. Going down, slow down to about 35mph down shift to the gear you went up in, engage the engine brake and enjoy the scenery.

Good question... Santa Fe to Pagosa means that he will go thru Chama, then to Pagosa and the road from Chama to Pagosa is not the best for a newbie RV drive either, then... from Pagosa over Wolf Ck Pass will be even more interesting.  Santa Fe to Alamosa would be better roads with a shoulder in most places.  There's an accident prone intersection at 285/64 where vigilance will be helpful. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom