Towing a Generation 1 Tacoma 5-speed 4x4 as a toad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 2002 Tacoma 4x4 5-speed. I have been towing it 4 down behind my Beaver coach for about 500 miles. Toyota says not to do it unless it's an emergency then to shift the differential into 2H and the transmission into Neutral and place ignition in Acc position. I also checked with Remco who says shouldn't be a problem but they recommended towing it with both the Trans in Neutral and Differential in Neutral with ignition in Acc. Otherwise Toyota recommends installing a differential disengage for additional priotection when towing in fear that the differential would not get adequate lubrication. Thus far I have towed it both ways in Neutral/Neutral and Neutral/2H, without any signs of any problems. Of the two options which in your opinion would be the safest in the long run. Usually anytime I stop for anything while towing I will stop and run the engine in the Tacoma for about 3 minutes and shift through the gears. Thanks for any suggestions.

Differential?  Do you mean the 4WD manual transfer case?  The thing that engages 2WD or 4WD and Hi/Low range? Want to make sure we are understanding the instructions right.

Each axle in a 4WD vehicle has its own differential, which allows the wheels on the axle to turn at different speeds, as in a turn. The differential spins as the wheels turn, regardless of the transmission or transfer case selection. If Toyota is worried about the differential(s), neither of those two selections would seem to affect that.

I looked up the Remco database entry for a 2001 Tacoma 4WD 5-speed and it says "follow the instructions in the owner manual". Typically for a manual tranny & transfer case that would be tranny in gear and transfer case in neutral, or possibly both tranny and transfer case in neutral.  I can't imagine why Toyota would want 2H rather than neutral.  Are you sure those are the instructions for a manual transfer case? If it's the electronic transfer case, that's a different story.

Gary thanks for the fast respones! Yes I was referring to the 4WD manual transfer case. I agree typically they call for both in Neutral position but the manual says trans in Neutral and transfer case in H2 mode.

That does seem odd, but so does the caution about towing for that specific configuration.  Owner manuals are sometimes a bit difficult to decipher as to what instruction goes with what option set. And sometimes the tech writer who assembles the manual simply mixes things up and nobody catches it.

Sorry, but I have no specific knowledge of the 2001 Tacoma to offer. Just the generalization and you already know that.

Thanks again Gary for your time and input! I think for the time being I will continue towing with the Tacoma in Neutral/Neutral. I talked to a local Toyota tech who said he didn't understand why the manual says that also. He stated there is obviously fluid in the differential casing at all times which should be sufficient to keep the gears somwhat lubricated while rolling down the road. He stated latter years second generation Tacomas they made some changes that makes it more difficult to tow 4 down (standard shifts) without other adjustments made. I also talked to a local hitch installer who stated pretty much the same thing. He recommended keeping both in Neutral positions. Have a good day.

I've had Toyota pickups all my life along with Duramaxes. Great trucks, the reason I went with the 2002 Tacoma was to haul my 4x4 ATV with us as we traveled. Have a great 4th of July.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I can't imagine why Toyota would want 2H rather than neutral. 

It has to do with getting sufficient splash lubrication to the transfer case gears.  On Toyota transfer cases, the input shaft from the transmission has to turn to splash oil on the rest of the gears.  With the transfer case in neutral the input shaft doesn't turn so the gears are starved for lubrication.

On most other transfer cases, the output shaft turning by itself provides sufficient lubrication when the vehicle is in motion.

Lou thanks for the input, I can always go back to leaving the transfer case in H2 and the transmission in Neutral per Toyotas emergency towing directive. Although I know one doesn't still get the same amount of lubrication as with the engine running. Getting ready to head out on another 250 mile trip, will see how it does. Thanks, I know it would be safer to disengage the rear driveshaft but sometimes I like to live on the edge. Have a great day.

06beavermontereyIV, I have the same truck, '98 taco 2.7 L, manual / man. transfer & locking hubs. I have been searching for quite a while for info as I want to flat tow it as well. On the Spector Off Road site they posted the same info (tranny in 'N' / transfer in 'H2') about the fj40 land cruisers so I think we're on the right track. I will check with my Toyota mechanic this week and post again.

additional, I think it is all about the transfer being 'splash lubricated' as the drive shaft is still engaged into it. Makes total sense when you think about it, Tacoma's are not the only transfer case with that type of internal configuration. These toad tow product dealers just don't have the needed knowledge of particular trans/tranfer design specifics. A real good and EXPERIENCED transmission repair or towing company may also have accurate knowledge.

towing early Tacoma's. Don't know if you saw my posts but sounds like the owners manual is correct! Can you give me any personal advice or experiences as I want to tow my '98 'all manual' taco too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom