Remodeling A Bit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVoorhis318

This slide is done with the exception of some caulking and moving the white leather love seat into place.

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 237
Coming along nicely. All windows will be covered with the same blackout shades as the one pictured. The dining area window has been bronze tinted for 87% heat reflection and the rest will be tinted when we return to Florida in September. Once parked I'll be installing exterior vinyl solar screen for additional heat deflection and the same product will be used on the bath skylight.

Attachments

• IMG_1255.jpg
    IMG_1255.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 141
Lookin' good there Rob. You've done some nice work on your home.

Looks great! I'm a huge fan of the shiplap wall on the slide and the color as well.

How hard was putting the wood flooring in the slide? I inquired at a custom RV place once and the guy told me it was impossible and his team couldn't do it  :-\ I know it's possible so I may have to do it myself. Wondering what kind of time/skill level is required.

The worst part of the job was pulling out the carpet and all the staples they used! The vinyl flooring was the easy part it just snaps together and its easy to cut I used a chop saw and a sharp sheetrock blade for small cuts. I started opposite the wall and worked towards the wall very simple if your handy. I did use a few dabs of liquid nails on the entire first row. I trimmed out with quarter round and the other thing was finding a good color match for the existing vinyl I found it at Lowes. I painted the walls and I'm putting up new blackout blinds grabbed them from Lowes too.

I've been taking my time doing so many different things I've been on the whole project about 3 weeks, I'll be done in another week. The pain in the butt is fixing or replacing all of the crappy factory trim.... I have a 50A outlet in my garage so I'm working in the A/C.

This is what I used in my bathroom in the sticks and bricks. I did the same thing with the Liquid Nails. The edge I started at was up against an old cast iron tub that has a scalloped edge along the floor. I didn't want it to move away from the tub. The rest floats.

http://www.armstrong.com/flooring/luxury-vinyl/century-barnwood-weathered-gray-resilient-vinyl-tile-U5010/floor-151942.asp

Rob VanVoorhis said:
I have a 50A outlet in my garage so I'm working in the A/C.

:))

Oh, I bet that looks nice! Funny you mention this because we need to cover an old tile floor in our house and my wife suggested something similar to what I put in the RV! Now I know what my next project is haha..........

Thanks for sharing

R

Here's a few photos as I get started on the second slide this morning. Again, getting the carpet up and removing all of the staples was the biggest chore the rest is easy. Because I didn't think I was going to need flooring where we have our recliners I'll be a bit short so I'll order another case and finish it up when it gets here, took two weeks last time.

R

Attachments

• IMG_1267.jpg
    IMG_1267.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1268.jpg
    IMG_1268.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1269.jpg
    IMG_1269.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 105
Second slide almost done need to finish painting, caulking, shades and a wee bit of trim bada bing. Looking or a small two top dinette set to wrap it up, table in photo is for my Imac desktop.

Attachments

• IMG_1275.jpg
    IMG_1275.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 90
Rob...Very nice job! Wondered where you are located.
Am looking at doing this project and the thing that has been keeping me  is what to use to seal/finish  where the slide comes in over the stationary floor. I'll await your reply.
Thanks much!
Floyd

Hey Floyd

We're in CT for the summer and Arcadia Florida for 7 months during the fall & winter. Unfortunately I don't have a creative solution for your question, at first I thought the black hard plastic rail moved with the slide until I realized the slide rides up and over it now leaving a visible gap which is normally covered by a strip of carpet when the slides are in for travel. So the slide never really touches the stationary floor to begin with and the gap disappears when the slides are out.

Rob

I think, generally speaking, those slides that are flush when extended have rollers underneath that roll up a ramp and onto the floor when pulled in. I thought in my case, that bumping up onto the edge of the flooring material would damage the flooring material so I put a strip of tapered hardwood along the edges where the slides came in, barely visible in the photo. (The previous carpet was doubled over at that location and that eliminated any small level differences that there may have been before. Darned hardwood cost more than the flooring material as it had to be milled by the supplier!!) I have seen no evidence of floor damage caused by the rollers just running across it or sitting on it so far.

I still would like to replace carpet in the slide itself but have, so far, been deterred by fastening it down on the leading edge. I believe that there is a fairly wide steel edge under there.

Attachments

• Floor2217b.jpg
    Floor2217b.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 82
In the photo you can see my first piece of vinyl it butts up to the black plastic rail the rail is stationary. My first row is glued with construction adhesive and the remainder of the floor floats. Worked out really good and PS your hardwood floor look beautiful!!!

Rob

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 60
Thank you!!! It is not all hardwood Rob!! It is the typical click together material from Home Depot similar to what you used. Only the 2" strip next to the slide is hardwood. I should have used the vinyl click variety instead of the regular type as I have notice several edges swelling despite no evidence of water entry. Might be simply the high humidity of South West Florida summers. I did use the vinyl variety in the bedroom area after a pipe burst soaked that carpet. Much easier to work with as it can be cut using a handyman type of knife, no saw needed.

I will definitely look into the leading edge of my slide and consider using construction glue for the first row as you did in that area.

Yes vinyl was easy to manage I used a chop saw and razor knife for all cuts. Where are you guys in SW Florida, we are in Arcadia from late September to mid May every year. I think after I pull the 5th wheel down this year its going to stay there for quite a while. That's the plan anyway it could change we still haven't pulled it West which I will probably do right from Florida. Good luck with your projects!!!

Best

Rob

Back
Top Bottom