Need vent lid extension

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
I just installed a Fantastic vent fan in my bathroom. What a difference compared to the original factory installed junk fan we had. The only issue I have, well not me but my DW (dear wife) is she has trouble reaching the crank for opening the lid.  She is so short. I seem to remember someone posted a supplier who had extensions for these knobs. Anyone know where I can get a extension or how to make one?

I don't know about the extender but I use a small one-step folding stool when I clean our fans.  It folds to about two inches thick and fits neatly on its side in a cabinet.  If you can't find the extender this might help.  For example, see
https://www.wdrake.com/buy-folding-step-stool-311826?gclid=CJq_xMHQ4dQCFUtNfgodvuYAdw&sourcecode=WD17FS10&cmp=compare_shop&mr:trackingCode=$(ReferralID)$&mr:referralID=NA&s_kwcid=AL!4808!3!96970592576!!!!293946777986!&ef_id=WSSALAAAALO9dLHD:20170628225200:s

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
I don't know about the extender but I use a small one-step folding stool when I clean our fans.  It folds to about two inches thick and fits neatly on its side in a cabinet.  If you can't find the extender this might help.  For example, see
https://www.wdrake.com/buy-folding-step-stool-311826?gclid=CJq_xMHQ4dQCFUtNfgodvuYAdw&sourcecode=WD17FS10&cmp=compare_shop&mr:trackingCode=$(ReferralID)$&mr:referralID=NA&s_kwcid=AL!4808!3!96970592576!!!!293946777986!&ef_id=WSSALAAAALO9dLHD:20170628225200:s

ArdraF

Thanks Ardra. That would work but I think it would be a pain in the butt everytime she wanted to cycle the lid.

I don't have a photo, but I made one for my DW from a length of 1 1/4" PVC pipe (actually, the thin stuff for sink drains).  I cut square opposing notches that fit over the vent knob.

Molaker said:
I don't have a photo, but I made one for my DW from a length of 1 1/4" PVC pipe (actually, the thin stuff for sink drains).  I cut square opposing notches that fit over the vent knob.

That's a good idea Tom. Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

Rene T said:
I just installed a Fantastic vent fan in my bathroom. What a difference compared to the original factory installed junk fan we had. The only issue I have, well not me but my DW (dear wife) is she has trouble reaching the crank for opening the lid.  She is so short. I seem to remember someone posted a supplier who had extensions for these knobs. Anyone know where I can get a extension or how to make one?
I had one of those fans in my 5th wheel and I made an extension for my Wife to use.    1" aluminum tubing a foot long with a bike slip on rubber handle on one end and two pieces of 1/8 x 1/2 x3" long screwed 180* apart on the other end to form a yoke of sorts.  The two prongs of the yoke would slip into the notches of the handle. Sorry, I don't have a picture and the 5'ver is long gone.
Marvin

I bought the Fantastic with the power lift and my wife could not reach the switch on the ceiling.  I decided to buy the kit to convert this to remote control.  I am not sure if you can convert the crank to power lift with remote control, but it might be worth a call to Fantastic.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Since she is "height challenged", you should have bought her one of the motorized lid models.  8)

That's what we have in the kitchen. 4 years ago, we installed a second AC in the bedroom and removed this Fantastic fan assembly where the new AC went. I just installed it in the bathroom to get rid of the cheap fan.
I have access to a machine shop and was able to make a adapter attached to the existing knob with a longer 8-32" screw and I installed a knob on the other end. The adapter was 2 1/2" long so it will work fine now. She was able to open the lid before but she had to stand on her tippy toes and using just the tips of her fingers.   

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom