How long can you camp on propane using just for refridge? (18cu)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You didn't say what size propane tank you have. But a standard 20# tank, if its not used for anything else other than the fridge, will last you for months.

Hi,

There are variables on units, temp. differences and quantity of LP tanks, but in my Class A coach, I had the fridge running for the last 18 or 20 days. I've run the a/c to keep the coach from getting hot inside. With that said, I've only use 25% of my tank and had filled it just before running the fridge those 18 - 20 days. So from that, I could go another roughly two months before I'd run out. So I'd say 2 to 3 months before you'd have to worry.

Larry N. said:
You'll run out of battery (the fridge needs 12V DC for the control board) a lot of times before you you run out of propane.

Yep, if your boondocking.  When the battery dies, if the fridge goes out it will not start again.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

It's not that it just won't re-start. The fridge will quit working when the battery voltage falls too low, supposedly at about 10.5v on most models. The control circuit board stops functioning and no longer holds the gas valve open.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
It's not that it just won't re-start. The fridge will quit working when the battery voltage falls too low, supposedly at about 10.5v on most models. The control circuit board stops functioning and no longer holds the gas valve open.

Thanks for the detail, Gary.  I know when I was pulling a trailer and was on a LONG trip it happened to me.  I had a second battery in the back of the tow vehicle but it was down, also.  No joy.

Larry N. said:
You'll run out of battery (the fridge needs 12V DC for the control board) a lot of times before you you run out of propane.

Hi Larry and all,

Good point and I am glad you mentioned that. If the OP is plugged into shore power, assuming everything is running right, they can go a long time on the LP. Not plugged in or boondocking, they will have to address that.

Reason I am glad you mention it, if we boondock, we'll need to make sure there IS enough battery to keep fridge cool. Best!

If you're plugged into shore power, why not just switch the refrigerator to electric mode and not worry about the propane at all?

Lou Schneider said:
If you're plugged into shore power, why not just switch the refrigerator to electric mode and not worry about the propane at all?

Lou, they didn't say they were plugged into shore power. camperAL merely said "if you are plugged into shore power".

Hi Lou, Rene T and all,

DisneyCamper said they had some sort of problem with their fridge. My thinking is just have the problem worked on so it becomes a non-issue.

I ran my refridge on LP to just get an idea of how long it lasts (and complicated this thread).  :)  LP is pretty cheap here.

Rene T said:
Lou, they didn't say they were plugged into shore power. camperAL merely said "if you are plugged into shore power".

Depending on the length of the stay many or maybe most campgrounds make you pay for your own electric and propane is much more efficient.
EDIT: This was not the comment this was meant to be posted under and I couldn't find an option to delete it. My apologies.

What kind of refrigerator do you have?  I have a big Norcold 4-door 1200 LR and it's only 12 cubic feet, while yours is 18?

Anyway, I've tested it extensively and my unit uses right about 1/2 gallon of propane per day in boondockable weather.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom