warranty coverage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sherryrn53

My husband and I just purchased a Class C Freelander QBC to be picked up Saturday. The Dealership is offering all warranty coverages-comprehensive service, roadside assistance, tire and wheel protection, and special protective coating-approximately $7600 to be added on in our 20 year term. Is it a good idea to purchase these or is the salesman just making a lot of money off us

Welcome to the Forum, Sherry!

Warranties are a hot topic, and have been discussed here many times, and some of those threads can be found with the Search function on "warranty" or other words key to you. The fine print can be obnoxious.

Bottom line, there is a huge profit margin to dealers for the add-ons, and you might be better off taking some time to research your options at that price point, and find other alternatives. Things do go wrong with RV's, but dealer warranty coverage is not the only solution.

Is this a new or used unit?

Kim

p.s. And yes, the salesman and dealer are making a good chunk of money!  8)

Put your  $7,600 in the bank. 

I've had a class A 13 years and haven't spent that much on repairs. 

I'm against extended warranties, especially after seeing the dozens of complaints on RV forums where people can't get the warranty company to pay.

Snake oil.

If you do decide you want to purchase an extended warranty plus tire service and others extras, you can probably buy them for much less elsewhere. There are brokerages that sell those things and usually at better prices.  Furthermore, you do NOT need to decide right now so don't get pushed into it. You can buy them at "new RV" rates anytime in the first year of ownership, and probably during the 2nd year as well.

It's also a bad financial deal to finance 5-7 years of repair insurance for 20 years. You are paying principal and interest long after the coverage expires.

As for the coverages themselves, they are a form of insurance, not a warranty. Nor do they do not cover all possible repairs.  As with all insurance, a lot of people contribute to a pool of money so that the relative few with the bad luck to need major repairs can get assistance with the costs.

The dealer where I bought my KZ Spree was pushy about selling a "Warranty Forever" plan.  I told them I was absolutely not interested because it required all preventative service/maintenance to be done by a dealer or certified shop.  I service and repair all my equipment myself, so the cost of the "annual service" would add up to more than I would ever spend on repairs.  Then the major stuff is not even covered.  A quick Google search of "RV Warranty Forever" shows it is a total rip off scam.

Back
Top Bottom