EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: 06 Nissan Frontier -- TT or Pop - up ? Trailmanor?  (Read 5252 times)

cajunminnie

06 Nissan Frontier -- TT or Pop - up ? Trailmanor?
« on: April 23, 2007, 05:31:29 PM »
We have an 06 Nissan Frontier -  what can we tow and be safe?       I've been looking at TT's, but afraid most of them are too heavy.   I did find a Trailmanor pop up that I like - do you think that is possible?       I know this may sound stupid, but is there a difference in towing a pop up and a high low, weight wise?
  Is there a high low I could be considering?   I would prefer hard sides on whatever we get.     I appreciate any help.  Thanks!

Marc L

• ---
Re: 06 Nissan Frontier -- TT or Pop - up ? Trailmanor?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 06:50:30 PM »
Hi,

It depends on your model of Fronty.  The tow capacity varies, it can be one of the following: 3500lbs, 6100lbs, 6300lbs or 6500lbs.  So you need to find which one yours is.  That tow rating is based on a driver and full tank of gas.  So what you put in the truck in addition of that has to be substracted from your tow capacity.  So you will want a trailer that once loaded will be 10% to 20% lighter than your tow capacity just so you don't run maxed out.

There is a difference in wind resistance between a pop up and a trailer.  The height and width makes the TT harder to pull.
Marc...

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 08:42:10 PM »
If you have the 2.5 I-4 your rating is 3500 lbs and that means a smallish tent trailer, one with GVWR of no more than 3250 lbs..    If you have a  4.0 V-6  the nominal tow ratiing varies between 6500 lbs for the King Cab, and 6300lbs for the crew cab  -- if you have 4wd, subtract 200 lbs from those ratings.   We recommend allowing a 10% safety factor and using a trailers Gross Vehicle Weight Rating for evaluation.  If you would tow in the mountain or Pacific west make that 10%, 20% to allow for grades and altitude. 

So if you have the king cab, go for a trailer with a GVWR of 5850 lbs or 5200 lbs in the west.   If you have a crew cab unit those numbers become 5670 and 5040 lbs respectively.  If you have a 4wd unit, knock another 200 lbs off the numbers.

You should be looking towards a lightweight TT under 24' in length or a hybrid.  Frankly I suspect the hybrid would be your best bet.
Carl L/LA   [Forum Staff]  KI6SEZ

Prowler 23LV TT pulled by a '95 Ford Bronco

cascariok

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 09:05:17 PM »
also you need to remember that it takes alot to tow a trailer, the wheight in the tow viecle is one thing, but the wieght of pulling something heavy is totally different. i have a 2006 nissan frontier, i pull a 2004 pioneer 18t6 tt. it pulls it GREAT. the gross is 6000. but i dont put in 2000 pounds of junk in it either. i put about 1200, so it not quite 6000 pounds. so you can pull a TT, just look for a gross weight of around 5000-5500. then you will be safe.

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 10:22:01 AM »
I think no matter what the specifics of your truck are, you will be able to pull a pop-up with no problem.  If you have the right setup though, the Trailmanor is a great trailer.  My dad started in one of those (well, after the pop-up anyway), and even traded in a smaller one for the bigger one.  Granted he had more of a tow vehicle, but still it towed like it wasn't even back there.  Since you don't have the wind resistance of a regular TT, it is much easier to tow.  But you do still have to consider all the numbers the others have stated above first.

Good luck.
Ed.....KF5INW
2011 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
2010 Forest River Wildcat 28RKBS
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!"

buckle823

• ---
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 09:09:24 AM »
Being that most decent size pop-ups are at least 3,500 lbs, I would certainly ensure I had a seperate transmission cooler, trailer brakes, and a weight distribution hitch with a sway control bar.

Hosted by Over The Network