06 Nissan Frontier -- TT or Pop - up ? Trailmanor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cajunminnie

We have an 06 Nissan Frontier -  what can we tow and be safe?      I've been looking at TT's, but afraid most of them are too heavy.  I did find a Trailmanor pop up that I like - do you think that is possible?      I know this may sound stupid, but is there a difference in towing a pop up and a high low, weight wise?
  Is there a high low I could be considering?  I would prefer hard sides on whatever we get.    I appreciate any help.  Thanks!

Hi,

It depends on your model of Fronty.  The tow capacity varies, it can be one of the following: 3500lbs, 6100lbs, 6300lbs or 6500lbs.  So you need to find which one yours is.  That tow rating is based on a driver and full tank of gas.  So what you put in the truck in addition of that has to be substracted from your tow capacity.  So you will want a trailer that once loaded will be 10% to 20% lighter than your tow capacity just so you don't run maxed out.

There is a difference in wind resistance between a pop up and a trailer.  The height and width makes the TT harder to pull.

If you have the 2.5 I-4 your rating is 3500 lbs and that means a smallish tent trailer, one with GVWR of no more than 3250 lbs..    If you have a  4.0 V-6  the nominal tow ratiing varies between 6500 lbs for the King Cab, and 6300lbs for the crew cab  -- if you have 4wd, subtract 200 lbs from those ratings.  We recommend allowing a 10% safety factor and using a trailers Gross Vehicle Weight Rating for evaluation.  If you would tow in the mountain or Pacific west make that 10%, 20% to allow for grades and altitude. 

So if you have the king cab, go for a trailer with a GVWR of 5850 lbs or 5200 lbs in the west.  If you have a crew cab unit those numbers become 5670 and 5040 lbs respectively.  If you have a 4wd unit, knock another 200 lbs off the numbers.

You should be looking towards a lightweight TT under 24' in length or a hybrid.  Frankly I suspect the hybrid would be your best bet.

also you need to remember that it takes alot to tow a trailer, the wheight in the tow viecle is one thing, but the wieght of pulling something heavy is totally different. i have a 2006 nissan frontier, i pull a 2004 pioneer 18t6 tt. it pulls it GREAT. the gross is 6000. but i dont put in 2000 pounds of junk in it either. i put about 1200, so it not quite 6000 pounds. so you can pull a TT, just look for a gross weight of around 5000-5500. then you will be safe.

I think no matter what the specifics of your truck are, you will be able to pull a pop-up with no problem.  If you have the right setup though, the Trailmanor is a great trailer.  My dad started in one of those (well, after the pop-up anyway), and even traded in a smaller one for the bigger one.  Granted he had more of a tow vehicle, but still it towed like it wasn't even back there.  Since you don't have the wind resistance of a regular TT, it is much easier to tow.  But you do still have to consider all the numbers the others have stated above first.

Good luck.

Being that most decent size pop-ups are at least 3,500 lbs, I would certainly ensure I had a seperate transmission cooler, trailer brakes, and a weight distribution hitch with a sway control bar.

Back
Top Bottom