Wait to buy RV in California or buy in Midwest?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nomadnomad

Hi,
Thank you for such a helpful forum!
I have been reading this forum for a while and especially enjoy the resources/ library.  I joined to look up more specific questions, but maybe my questions were too long because the search didn't come up with any leads. If this question has been asked, perhaps someone can add a link to that discussion?
My question is this: we are moving to California and I get different answers from different dealers about bring in an rv. We would like to buy a 2017 (currently we like Thor 27K, 29M and Winnebagos).
But I am concerned that getting it registered will be a headache due to emissions standards (CA dealer told me I will have to refit components), and the differences in taxes (same CA dealer said I'd end up paying double tax), and issues whether the RV is new or used. We do not want to avoid any taxes but we don't want to pay unnecessarily either.
We still own our home here in MI, so initially we thought it is ok to buy it here and make our way out west (yaay fun!), then I read so many posts with varying experiences and then dealers that say we could not bring the RV into CA for a year (ugh, no fun!).
It's confusing enough trying to decide on the RV - so anyone with advice or experience with coming into CA, is very much appreciated!
Thank you

the rules for bringing a non C.A.R.B. (California Air Resources Board) compliant vehicle into the state of California are complex.

if the vehicle has more that 7,500 miles on it, you are fine.... here are the actual  DMV rules..

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29

nomadnomad said:
Hi,
Thank you for such a helpful forum!
I have been reading this forum for a while and especially enjoy the resources/ library.  I joined to look up more specific questions, but maybe my questions were too long because the search didn't come up with any leads. If this question has been asked, perhaps someone can add a link to that discussion?
My question is this: we are moving to California and I get different answers from different dealers about bring in an rv. We would like to buy a 2017 (currently we like Thor 27K, 29M and Winnebagos).
But I am concerned that getting it registered will be a headache due to emissions standards (CA dealer told me I will have to refit components), and the differences in taxes (same CA dealer said I'd end up paying double tax), and issues whether the RV is new or used. We do not want to avoid any taxes but we don't want to pay unnecessarily either.
We still own our home here in MI, so initially we thought it is ok to buy it here and make our way out west (yaay fun!), then I read so many posts with varying experiences and then dealers that say we could not bring the RV into CA for a year (ugh, no fun!).
It's confusing enough trying to decide on the RV - so anyone with advice or experience with coming into CA, is very much appreciated!
Thank you

We purchased a TT from Mi and had it shipped to CA. Didn't have to deal with the emission thing. For the sale to be complete
the unit has to be registered in Mi 1st where you will pay the sales tax which in our case was about $1100. When we had title
transfered to CA we had to pay an additional sales tax of $250. The DMV credits what you paid to Mi then charges you the difference
between the 2. You are going to pay the price either way. The determining factor has to be the initial cost of your unit. Where are
you getting the "best" deal. In our case it was MI. We saved over $7000 even with the shipping.

There may be another reason for buying in California. If you should ever need a warranty repair, you will likely get much better service from the dealer who sold it. Some dealers will avoid, or even refuse warranty work on RVs that they didn't sell

Joel

You can do what you want - but if you are new to RV'ing we almost always tell first time buyers to buy used.

If this is your first RV or your first NEW RV you need to know (if you don't already) that buying a RV is NOT like buying a car.
The quality control on cars and trucks are MUCH more enforced then they are in the RV industry.
It's a pretty good bet that the unit you get will NOT be perfect but might very well have many issues to start you out on your journey.

Whereas a used unit is much more likely to have all the issues repaired or fixed before someone else buys it.
Also there are topics on depreciation on new units and how much more they are (with RV's) then cars and trucks and those are pretty bad too.

Yes I believe you would probably get a better deal in MI then in CA.  But a used unit will likely have more then 7500 miles so that
hurdle would be over.  So a used unit from MI would probably be your best bet. 

Also IMO IF you decide to get a unit in MI and drive it to CA make sure you take quite a few trips in it before setting out for the west coast.
Especially IF you get a new unit because like I said it's rare that they are problem free and better to get it fixed here in MI than on some
road between here and CA.  That could be very expensive not to mention inconvenient for anyone on a major trip like you have planned.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.  And good luck in CA too - at least it should be warmer there especially in the Winter.  ;D

Thank you for your helpful replies.
The dealer I called in CA must have given me incorrect info. The local dealer told me that the RVs he sends out to CA do not have anything special added for CARB emissions - they are the same models he sells here. Thank you Tony dTorch for the link to CA EPA labels. We'll check the engines of the RVs under consideration- maybe we'll even find one CA certified.
We will go for a used vehicle over 7,500 miles - and test it out on small trips.
Butchiii- do you mind to tell me which dealer you used- Sounds like they know how to handle CA regulations.

After moving so often, we have grown weary of packing & unpacking, lugging suitcases, checking in & out of hotels, etc. Plus we can bring our pets along with us. And of course, there is so much to see out west! That's one reason we're looking under 30 ft - many parks in CA have size restrictions.

I will post further info learned in case there are other newbies like me reading the forum for info.
Next research is for networks such as Good Sam, Route 66, etc so we are prepared in the event of a breakdown.

"That's one reason we're looking under 30 ft - many parks in CA have size restrictions. "

Help the ignorant here (me) - what is this 30 ft. restrictions of many CA parks you have been talking about?  Who does this affect and where?  We are 35' plus our towed.

Jennifer

nomadnomad said:
The dealer I called in CA must have given me incorrect info. The local dealer told me that the RVs he sends out to CA do not have anything special added for CARB emissions - they are the same models he sells here. Thank you Tony dTorch for the link to CA EPA labels. We'll check the engines of the RVs under consideration- maybe we'll even find one CA certified.

The sticker under the hood generally says one of 2 things.  1)  If the sticker says the vehicle meets Federal regulations that does not mean it meets Calif regs (or the other states that follow Calif CARB standards).  If the sticker says it meets 50 States regs, that includes Calif as a qualifying state and this is the sticker you want to see as it means you need to do nothing but register it.  Following this rule also allows a Calif resident to legally purchase a new/unregistered vehicle out of state and bring it back in with no extra requirements (other than dealing with sales tax issues).

@ ferfer, I was looking up CA state parks for a possible trip and a few, such as Big Basins Redwoods, had size restrictions. I think it was even 27 feet for a motor home. 

nomadnomad said:
@ ferfer, I was looking up CA state parks for a possible trip and a few, such as Big Basins Redwoods, had size restrictions. I think it was even 27 feet for a motor home.

You're wise to research this carefully.  Most CA state parks were developed many years ago when people were either tent camping or traveling in very small RVs.  The size restrictions have not so much to do with the actual camp sites but to the interior roads within the campgrounds which are sometimes quite curvy and don't accommodate modern RVs.  We're California natives (from the mid-1800's).  CA is a beautiful state with deserts, mountains, sea shores, fertile vallys, cities, and mega-cities.  Where you are planning to settle will help members of this forum give you advice on what might be available for RV living when you arrive.  Even commercial facilities can be hard to locate near cities.

Back
Top Bottom