OK, another dumb - but more serious - toad question ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blaise

I have the blue ox Patriot supplemental brake (BRK2012) for use in my 2015 Chevy Sonic toad.

The Patriot instructions say:

"Note: Make sure tow brake is in Hybrid mode for any continuous power assist brakes or hybrid vehicles. (see Page 9)" (my bolding)

Page 9 says:

"When installing the Patriot? on hybrids/vehicles with continuous power assist brakes or if the user gets the ?REPOSITION BRAKE? error twice in a row while trying to set-up their brake, then they should do the following". And a special procedure is then described that puts the Patriot into "Hybrid Mode".

Now, my Sonic user manual says that the car has a feature called "Brake Assist", and describes this feature as "The Brake Assist feature is designed to assist the driver in stopping or decreasing vehicle speed in emergency driving conditions. This feature uses the stability system hydraulic brake control module to supplement the power brake system under conditions where the driver has quickly and forcefully applied the brake pedal in an attempt to stop or slow down the vehicle."

But is this "Brake Assist" feature that the car has the same thing as "continuous power assist brakes" ??

The issue is that the brake systems of cars with "continuous power assist brakes" may be damaged if the Patriot pushes the pedal too hard - the assist system may kick in and then too much brake is applied.

I called Blue Ox - they said "No" - "Brake Assist" is NOT the same thing as "continuous power assist brakes", use the regular settings.

I called eTrailer.com - they said "Yes" Brake Assist IS the same thing as "continuous power assist brakes", use the special settings (Hybrid Mode).

Last bit of info, after the special instructions in the Patriot manual to put it in Hybrid Mode, it says "These setting will be stored in the memory and remain until a user goes through this procedure again and changes them. With these settings, the brake will work on ANY vehicle".

SO ... I guess I'll use Hybrid Mode. Since that apparently won't do any harm even if it is not needed (works on ANY vehicle), while regular mode MAY damage the system (if it DOES have the continuous assist).

I'm thinking that the worst case in hybrid mode is that car braking may be a little lighter (since the Patriot thinks the continuous assist may kick in).

Would love to hear other opinions.

Thanks!

For what it's worth, I used the Hybrid mode and all worked well ... happy camper here!  :))

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the odometer did not advance while towing.  :)

Back
Top Bottom