Solar panel loss with angle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frank B

I'm trying to get a ballpark figure for the loss that I can expect with a horizontally mounted solar array on the roof of my trailer. There is lots of information on the optimum angle, but I haven't found anything on what I can expect for a loss at less than Optimum angle.

In my case, I'm looking for two figures. What would be the percentage loss at about 52 or 53 degrees of latitude in the summer? The other one, would be the loss that I could expect in the winter at about 33 degrees latitude?

Has anyone found any sort of solar calculator that will provide these kinds of figures?

The thing is. I am not going to tilt my panels at all. I'm just trying to calculate what I can expect for power with a flat panel at those latitudes in those seasons.

Thanks.

Frank.

Frank B said:
Has anyone found any sort of solar calculator that will provide these kinds of figures?

See if this works for you:

http://pvwatts.nrel.gov

Used it when running calculations prior to the solar installation on our house. Pretty sure it includes a tilt variable along with latitude

With RV solar, the optimum mounting angle is usually irrelevant because the RV is typically positioned differently at every site, altering the actual angle the sunlight hits it (or not). Even adjustable (motorized) mounts don't help a bunch (the whole panel may be oriented wrong).

And as you probably know, the optimum angle varies by latitude and season as well.

Back
Top Bottom