Riding the Washington State Ferries...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wildhairday

Hi All,

New to these boards. Some pretty interesting discussions going on! Anyway, i've a question, i'll be traveling in a 30'9" long Bus from North Dakota to Vancouver Island. I've been looking at the ferry situation and it seems that the Washington State Ferries are doing as special on vehicles 30' and under. So my question is, does anyone know how exactly they measure lenth of vehicles? I'd like to reserve online as having a 30' vehicle, as the price difference is $50(!!!) for the trip from Anacortes to Sidney BC. Any help in this manner would be appreciated!!! Also, if anyone has any tips on riding the ferry to vancouver island, i'd love to hear it! Thanks in advance.

whd

WSF usually use marks on the pavement to guesstimate vehicle length and you will probably get away with 29' but I would carry the extra $50.00 in case.

The lowest cost way to get vehicles to Vancouver Island is to cross the border and take the Tsawwassen - Swartz Bay ferry which can be as low as 48.00cdn each way.

The lowest cost way to get vehicles to Vancouver Island is to cross the border and take the Tsawwassen - Swartz Bay ferry which can be as low as 48.00cdn each way.

No Jeff, I think you're wrong.  Wild should check out this URL:

http://www.bcferries.com/fares/vanvicoffpeakapr07.html

and at 30 feet s/he is looking at pretty close to $100 Cdn for the vehicle--standard is 20 ft and then surcharge for additional length and for fuel.

Ciao,

Doug

Wildhairday,
I can't give any input on how they measure but you may just give them a call.  I've called before and found they were quite helpful.  You should be able to find a phone number on their website.  Regarding riding the ferry - they have a separate passenger area where you can go to sit and enjoy the ride once you've parked your vehicle.  They serve food & beverages also.  If the weather is nice you can go to one of the outer decks and enjoy the fresh air.  I just enjoy the scenery and visiting with people.  Where in ND are you from?  I've lived in Williston, Tioga, Bismarck, Fargo & Dickinson but have been in Spokane WA for the past 22 years.  Enjoy your trip.

Don't know about Washington ferries but the Bullfrog ferry (Glen Canyon Nat'l Rec Area) has marks on the floor and they measure every single foot including bumpers and bicycle racks if there. They charge for the actual space you take up.

Thanks for all the replies people! I did call them, and they told me i could probably get away with 30'. So i will be going for that!

Riverdog, i'm actually from northern MN, Thief River Falls, but the closest rental place is in Fargo, so that's where i'll be driving from!

Thanks again for all the info! Here's hoping all works out for me.

whd

DougJ said:

No Jeff, I think you're wrong.  Wild should check out this URL:

http://www.bcferries.com/fares/vanvicoffpeakapr07.html

and at 30 feet s/he is looking at pretty close to $100 Cdn for the vehicle--standard is 20 ft and then surcharge for additional length and for fuel.

Ciao,

Doug

Doug:

Sorry, I guess I computed it wrong. ??? Was looking at the Coast saver fares.

I think the saying is, no harm, no foul, and it probably applies here since whd didn't make any moves based on that price.

As a rule of thumb, I figure on $100 for my 32-footer on BC's ferries, other than the ones going up the North Coast.  Actually, the $100 buys a return trip from Horseshoe Bay to the Sunshine Coast where I live, whereas the $100 is a one-way ticket when crossing the Georgia Straits.

Take care,

Doug

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom