Hot Water Control Panel in RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Metalman RVer

This small control panel inside our Glendale has what I assume to be the usual, one switch for electric, one for propane & what I think is a light in the center, which is not working.  Both the electric & propane functions work when they are switched on. Is this a light to indicate when the system is heating in either mode, assuming it is a light? I removed the plate from the wall & do not see anything obvious, wires are connected to two terminals on the back of the center device.  Looks like the center module can replaced if need be as it appears to clip in place.

Another question about the hot water system, I believe I heard it said that when one wants to use a substantial amount of hot water, both can be operated similtainously....is this true without causing any trouble?

Attachments

• 20170630_130009.jpg
    20170630_130009.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 19
My old RV had pretty much the same setup. On mine, the light would go on when I started the heater using propane. Once the propane lit, the light would go out.
Yes you can run both of them at the same time.

I just happened to notice on my access door, there is a sticker. It says the output of my heater is 6.2 GPH (Gallons Per Hour) on electric, 13.5 GPH on propane and 19.7 GPH using both at the same time. So if you need a lot of hot water, use both.

The light indicates a problem.. To demonstrate

IF this is an Atwood, and I suspect it is, go outside and open the access hatch. You will see a piece of foam, most likely black with 4 wires.. Two of them connect to a seciton marked T-Stat and the other two ECO

Remove the RED wire from the TCO.. Then go in and turn on the water heater.. Light should come on within one minute indicating a problem

Now turn off, reconnect the RED wire, close up and go back in and turn on  Light shoujld be off

NOTE: Cold water please, I'm not sure the light will come on if the water is hot.

Removal of the red wire is part of the WINTERIZATION procedure for that heater.  Prevents accidental empty operation.

Agree with the others. The light will be on only when LP gas mode is used and then only when the gas flame fails to light. In other words, it is an LP gas fault indicator only.

For most units, the operation of the light is exactly as described by Ren?. The light is used only on the propane operation and is comes on only when the propane burner fails to light or re-light. It is simply a trouble indicator very similar to the Check light on the fridge controls.

That said, the light itself could be defective if it never lights, and Atwood may be able to supply a replacement.

I did the test by removing the red wire & the light does work fine.  Thanks for the help.

Rene T said:
My old RV had pretty much the same setup. On mine, the light would go on when I started the heater using propane. Once the propane lit, the light would go out.

metalman55
That's what the light at the switch for my Suberban propane water heater does.
When using propane the light comes on when you turn the switch ON and it stays on for the 15-20 seconds it takes for the burner to light...(once the burner lights the light goes OFF and stays OFF).

mel s said:
metalman55
That's what the light at the switch for my Suberban propane water heater does.
When using propane the light comes on when you turn the switch ON and it stays on for the 15-20 seconds it takes for the burner to light...(once the burner lights the light goes OFF and stays OFF).

Glad I'm not the only who's system works this way.

Back
Top Bottom