Thinking about a moderately priced Class A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vito55

We currently have a travel trailer, but more and more I have been thinking about buying a new Class A, but would need to keep it to the moderate price range. I know there is no upper limit on what can be spent on a motorhome, and I also would want to avoid something low priced because it uses really cheap and poorly designed components. I'm not into fancy countertops and mirrored ceilings, nor do I need something super large. Thinking of something like a 32 foot, diesel or gas, but with the engine in the rear. It would primarily be for just two adults, but maybe an occasional grandchild to come on a trip with us. I would want it as self sufficient as possible, with a generator capable of running everything on board, automatic leveling, and sufficient size fresh, gray and black water tanks to make dry camping for a week or so feasible. I'm not expecting any definitive recommendations from members of this forum, but possibly just some general ideas as to brands or styles. As to moderate, I am thinking of under $150K new.

you probably save 25% of the price by going gas over diesel,  They all use the very capable Ford V10 chassis, so there isn't much difference between a Thor or a Newmar chassis or any other brand.

There is a difference in the quality of a motorhome's frame work,  some are all metal,  some are a combo of wood studs and metal outside frame.  there is a difference in roof materials,  some are fiberglass,  most are a membrane roof.  Slide components are a big deal, some use HWH hydraulic systems and others use electric motors.

the interior finish materials is the first thing you can see in a lower cost unit. many of the components are the same, same microwave, fridg, a/c units ...etc. but how well the cabinetry is built is a big difference.

if you are somewhat handy fixing small stuff that comes loose,  and the cheaper units are easier to modify and remodel too... and chances are you will do a better job than that 18 year old ex pizza delivery driver did in the first place.

Diesel is a different deal, the more you spend on a chassis... the better the rig.

Consider buying used 5, 10 or even 15 years old RV's depreciate at an insane rate, and unless you are using it full time, I don't see how people justify paying new prices, particularly with the poor level of build quality and slow warranty work we hear so much about online.  It is not uncommon to hear of new class A motorhomes spending 3+ months in the shop their first year, just getting the initial punch list items fixed.  There are a lot of pristine condition older high quality motorhomes out there for sale at prices way below what even a new entry level unit sells for, you just may have to hunt for them as there are a lot of worn out money pits too.

As to the rear engine 32 ft models, I would be very careful with these, many short pushers have a reputation for instability on the road.  That does not mean there are not exception, just do lots of test driving.

Everybody has a budget. Buying a used coach makes a lot of sense because you get a lot more for the money and the bugs have been shaken out. A 5 or even 10 year old coach is often lightly used, yet the price has been substantially depreciated. You just need to shop widely and check to condition and maintenance carefully. We have checklists in the RVForum Library to help with that.

I completely agree with the comments on buying used.  I think you get more bang for the buck and the initial issues should be worked out on a used unit.  If you can afford it, I would recommend something in the five year old range.  One reason for a newer unit is that some parks are restricting the age of units they will allow in the park.  Personally, I prefer diesel over gas for both quality of the unit and the ride.  On the other hand, diesel is more expensive to maintain. 
Good luck on your purchase

My 2?.

You may think a 32 ft MH is Hugh and you wouldn't need anything bigger for just 2 people.
However don't rule out a 38-40 ft coach as they will have the bigger tanks all around and a bigger generator to run
everything on-board. 

A Diesel is usually much quieter with the engine in the rear.  You didn't say if you have any plans on towing a car behind the motorhome.
IF you are, a diesel will tow just about anything you want to tow.
I doubt that there are too many gas units with the engine in the rear.

I also will say buy used.  For $100K you should be able to find a very nice unit that is ready to roll.
A private party will be the best deal most of the time but you need to really know what to look for and buy from an Honest seller.

Good luck in your search for the right unit for you.

We always found the larger coaches were build for 2, the smaller ones for a family of 4-6 using bunks or dinette sleepers, etc.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom