Main breaker trips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goose33

This has happened a few times now. Sometimes when we are hooked up to 30A power at our camp site, our main breaker will trip if we start the microwave while we have the AC running. Has anyone else experienced this with their rig? Thanks.

I've frequently said that campers don't need to know a lot about electricity, but they do need to know a little math. Determine what the current draw is for your individual electrical devices (by checking the owners manuals or on-line charts), and don't exceed 30 amps total.

Thank you all. I was figuring it was too much of a draw for 30A. Guess the AC goes off when we need to microwave. Lol

we run the microwave with the A/C all the time, unless we're hooked to the Honda 3000 watt generator. You shouldn't be having problems when you're plugged into shore power, it sounds to me that the times that's happened, you might not be getting a full load of power from the hookup. I have run into that before, especially in some of the older campgrounds. It is entirely possible that you're just getting low voltage from the power source.

but the camper itself should handle running the a/c and the microwave together if it was wired correctly and has the right electrical set up in it

As above, always know the voltage, so get a digital voltmeter and place it where it's easily seen.  If voltage drops to 104 volts, do not even attempt to run the AC because it will be damaged.

The water heater should be on gas when trying to operate the AC and microwave.  The converter may be trying to charge the battery at a high rate as well.

Purchase a surge protector from Progressive Industries. When the voltage gets below a certain setting, it will automatically shut off power to the RV and protecting everything. When the voltage goes back up, it will turn on again.

Rene T said:
Purchase a surge protector from Progressive Industries. When the voltage gets below a certain setting, it will automatically shut off power to the RV and protecting everything. When the voltage goes back up, it will turn on again.

Just bought a Camco Power Defender surge protector. I'm using it for the first time as we speak. This doesn't happen all of the time, maybe 2-3 times in over a year. It's more than likely the shore power. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks a lot everyone!

Too much generalization here - need to get the facts and do the arithmetic that Happywanderer alluded to. Some microwaves do indeed use enough power that running them at the same time as an a/c will push the 30A limit. Especially if voltage is on the low side (a/c amp load goes up as voltage goes down).  A 1000 watt microwave can easily pull 12-13 amps. That's mostly because the microwave watts listed are the output power and the input power is typically about 50% or more greater. For example, a GE Spacemaker 1000w microwave uses 1480 watts on input.  Some 700 watt microwaves use as much as 1200 watts.

Combining 1200-1400 watts of microwave usage with another 1400+ for the a/c leaves very little for anything else when 3600 is the total max.  People tend to ignore the other power uses that are out of sight and often on a thermostat, e.g. water heater, fridge (in 120vac mode). And the converter/charger is always on and using at least an amp or two.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Too much generalization here - need to get the facts and do the arithmetic that Happywanderer alluded to. Some microwaves do indeed use enough power that running them at the same time as an a/c will push the 30A limit. Especially if voltage is on the low side (a/c amp load goes up as voltage goes down).  A 1000 watt microwave can easily pull 12-13 amps. That's mostly because the microwave watts listed are the output power and the input power is typically about 50% or more greater. For example, a GE Spacemaker 1000w microwave uses 1480 watts on input.  Some 700 watt microwaves use as much as 1200 watts.

Combining 1200-1400 watts of microwave usage with another 1400+ for the a/c leaves very little for anything else when 3600 is the total max.  People tend to ignore the other power uses that are out of sight and often on a thermostat, e.g. water heater, fridge (in 120vac mode). And the converter/charger is always on and using at least an amp or two.

Thanks a lot Gary for the insight. I'll look into my appliances and see what they are pulling. I'm actually curious to know.

In the simplest form, watts = volt x amps so a 1 amp load @ 120v is 120 watts. Motors and compressors behave a little different, but the simple formula will still give you a usable ball park figure.r

goose33 said:
This has happened a few times now. Sometimes when we are hooked up to 30A power at our camp site, our main breaker will trip if we start the microwave while we have the AC running. Has anyone else experienced this with their rig? Thanks.
goose33
In a RV... turning the A/C off BEFORE you run the microwave when you have 30A shore power is known as "common sense energy management".

BTW energy management is easy...and free.... if/when you understand it.
see: https://www.rvtechmag.com/electrical/chapter12.php

This used to happen to us if we had the AC on and my daughter was using the hair dryer. If I remember correctly her and a friend were both using hair dryers.

mel s said:
goose33
In a RV... turning the A/C off BEFORE you run the microwave when you have 30A shore power is known as "common sense energy management".

BTW energy management is easy...and free.... if/when you understand it.
see: https://www.rvtechmag.com/electrical/chapter12.php

You think I may be better off plugging my camper into a regular wall outlet? Of course I would use a GFI outlet to protect myself. I mean...I'm not stupid. Lol

NO WAY!!

A "regular" wall outlet will only provide 15A or 20A.  At least the campground or other similar receptacle claims to deliver 30A !!!

(For folks who thought this was a  good idea)

grashley said:
NO WAY!!

A "regular" wall outlet will only provide 15A or 20A.  At least the campground or other similar receptacle claims to deliver 30A !!!

(For folks who thought this was a  good idea)

I don't know a lot, but I certainly know this. Haha! I was just messing around. Good advice though. ?

Goose,

I figured you were playing.  That was for future readers, and to mess with you a little bit!  ;D  8)  Good Luck!

grashley said:
Goose,

I figured you were playing.  That was for future readers, and to mess with you a little bit!  ;D  8)  Good Luck!

? Good to be messed with. Lol

Back
Top Bottom