RVing with an injury?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jwall62

I recently broke my heel and it looks like it's going to be a long recovery after surgery. Has anyone done any camping with a foot injury that is not load bearing? I've got crutches, a knee scooter and an iWalk crutch less walker (which works really, really, well)

I've got a 19' Coleman 192rds travel trailer and a 2016 Chevy 2500HD.

Any tips, hints, stories? Should I just homestead it for the next 6 months?

well, I have a permanent back injury, blew a disc way back in 1997, had surgery, blew it again in 98, had surgery, blew it and 2 more in 2011. They say I need multiple levels fused together, but don't want to do it because of the poor success rate of it and the fact it has a low rate of helping anyway.....

It's resulted in permanent nerve damage in my legs and back. I have a lot of trouble getting around some days, some days I can almost forget about it, until I do something I'm not supposed to do, or twist just wrong or step on a rock or, or, or........ LOL

I have a LOT of trouble with my legs, especially the left leg and foot. It's hard to get up and down the steps, which is why in another thread I said I won't stay in a site I have to raise the camper to level over 4", it's just too hard to get in. I have electric tongue jack, and use an electric drill to raise and lower the stabilizers. I don't do any heavy lifting (the lube thread where I mentioned my SIL helping me with my bearing repack job, this is why, he did the lifting and bending)

I've said all of that, to say this. Only you know what you can do and can't do. Only you know if the suffering you'll do will be outweighed by the pleasure of getting out to the campground. For me, some days man it's totally worth it with no doubts at all. Some days it's just not worth it at all.

good luck in your choices, I hope you'll find it's worth it, heck in reality, I hope you can get out and do it and not suffer at all

Thanks for that input. Your story gives me some hope, I don't think a broken foot is worse than your back.

Jwall62 said:
Thanks for that input. Your story gives me some hope, I don't think a broken foot is worse than your back.

well I'm not sure, LOL because as you said, your foot is load bearing. although I know the days my feet don't want to work right, are the worst days possible for trying to camp. I've found if I just ease through what has to be done, I can manage ok most of the time. Biggest thing I miss when camping is not being able to hit the trails and hike any distance much at all.

I say just do it and see how it works out for you and as Clint Eastwood said one time "a man's got to know his limitations"  ;)

I have had two hip replacements and a ruptured quadriceps tendon and had to have it fixed too.  By far it was and is the most limiting from the stand point of climbing into the TT.  We have 3 steps and it is very hard to go up and down.  I would not recommend doing it at all until you have full load bearing capability back.  I also had a P/U with an 8" lift on it which I hated.  It had to be changed and still I almost needed a pogo stick ;D to get in with, getting out was easy, just open the door and fall out.  Getting up from the parking lot is what hurt. ;D

Tom Hoffman said:
I have had two hip replacements and a ruptured quadriceps tendon and had to have it fixed too.  By far it was and is the most limiting from the stand point of climbing into the TT.  We have 3 steps and it is very hard to go up and down.  I would not recommend doing it at all until you have full load bearing capability back.  I also had a P/U with an 8" lift on it which I hated.  It had to be changed and still I almost needed a pogo stick ;D to get in with, getting out was easy, just open the door and fall out.  Getting up from the parking lot is what hurt. ;D

Sounds painful. I have a cast on the foot right now and don't have any difficulty getting in the truck, but it's difficult to get up the steps with crutches. The iwalk leg makes things real easy to get in and out of the trailer and do some other things, I've been practicing in the driveway getting the jacks up and hooking and unhooking. I haven't done the hitch set up yet, that's my biggest concern.

I pushed my wife around in a wheelchair for one vacation while she was recovering from foot surgery, including a visit to Chicago. Otherwise, she was on crutches. She figured that she might as well be uncomfortable while camping rather than staying home and being uncomfortable.

I spent 2 yrs in a full leg cast and have 12 pins 8 screws and 8 inch plate in my leg 3 pins in my wrist and 8 screws and 4 plates in my lower back - no issues camping though :) ;) ;) :)

I'm only 60, but finding out that getting old ain't for sissies. A lot of you guys are more inspiration to me than you will ever realize.

J,

Sounds like you are camping alone.  Also sounds like you are approaching this correctly.  If you can handle setup, breakdown, and getting in and out of the truck in your drive, you should be good to go.  Just make sure you can do all of the setup in a reasonable time frame.  Same for breaking camp.  Note also you will have bad days as well. Be prepared for them, too!

HappyWanderer said:
She figured that she might as well be uncomfortable while camping rather than staying home and being uncomfortable.

SeilerBird said:
I sincerely doubt there is anyone here who is not RVing with some injury of some kind. Old age is a bitch. :eek:

I must admit.... It is not as much fun as I thought it would be.. but .. I still will take teh KNOWN over the Unknown country
(THat is a Star Trek Reference for the youngsters out there)

Some have injuries and some have limitations. I think they're interchangeable here. Definitely know what's right for you and don't let camping hinder your recovery or recovery hinder your camping. Don't be afraid to ask for help if you are alone.

I have two plates and four screws in my back from a past surgery. Recently,I teared three tendons in my left foot.  I am with a brace.  Not easy but possible.

My wife has been camping with a pain in the ass for years now. She has no other alternative since she needs me to drive the truck and get the camper set up.

Oldgator73 said:
My wife has been camping with a pain in the ass for years now. She has no other alternative since she needs me to drive the truck and get the camper set up.

After this post I feel her pain. ;D ;D ;D

Mine also suffers from the same malady. 8)

Oldgator73 said:

Ha! Great!

The problem with knee scooters and the like is that most RV camp sites are uneven and may be all gravel, making it hard to get around with knee scooters. It is most difficult for a foot related injury to walk or move about on uneven ground. I would suspect that you would not want to fall and re-injure the same foot. Getting in and out of truck and camper adds to the risk. Think about the most simple act of hooking or unhooking a trailer with an injured foot.
Most likely your recovery will be 6 to 8 weeks, and depending on the severity of the injury you may also have to go for rehab. Your muscles will be weak after your injury heals and you will need to get your strength back. I have felt your pain. A risk averse person would write off the summer and concentrate on getting well.
Good luck

jks said:
The problem with knee scooters and the like is that most RV camp sites are uneven and may be all gravel, making it hard to get around with knee scooters. It is most difficult for a foot related injury to walk or move about on uneven ground. I would suspect that you would not want to fall and re-injure the same foot. Getting in and out of truck and camper adds to the risk. Think about the most simple act of hooking or unhooking a trailer with an injured foot.
Most likely your recovery will be 6 to 8 weeks, and depending on the severity of the injury you may also have to go for rehab. Your muscles will be weak after your injury heals and you will need to get your strength back. I have felt your pain. A risk averse person would write off the summer and concentrate on getting well.
Good luck

Thanks. This was my summer to head out west and see the national parks, so disappointing. I'm hopeful to salvage something.

Back
Top Bottom