Generator install

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fourarms58

Hi everyone. I got a great deal on a used Onan 4000 generator but didn't think about size being a problem. When I went to install it I realized that it is 4-5 inches too tall to fit into my 30' 1990 Southwind. Not only that, but the wiring connection is different. A guy at our local Rv parts and repair store said that he would have to cut a hole underneath the motor home and then brace it up. Does this sound right? It sounded like such an expensive job that I didn't even mention the wiring!

Hard to say if the proposed solution is the best or not, but since the genset is too tall, you have to either raise the roof or lower the floor to make it fit. Sawing off the top of the genset is not an option!

The alternative is to re-sell the Onan and get one that fits. And maybe is a easier match-up on the wiring.  An RV salvage yard might have one. If you got a good deal on that Onan, you might even make money on the re-sale.

Sounds to me as though you are going to spend more making this bargain work than you saved on the purchase.  ???

Can you tell us the model number of the Onan generator that you bought as they have built at least 4 different 4,000 watt RV units over the years that I can think of off hand, CCK, BFA, and KY come to mind with the first 2 being 1800 rpm, 2 cylinder engine models, and the 3rd being the modern-ish  single cylinder 3,600 rpm mircro-lite / micro-quiet / QG series.

Hi Gary,
I was afraid that was going to be the answer. While I'm not crazy about your answer, I definitely appreciate your help.

And Isaac-1,
The model number is 4.0BFA-1R/16004C and it also says its 1800 rpm. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom