Need to add GPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoeky_b

I have an older MH and need to add GPS.  which would be a good GPS for this--I'm leaning toward Garmin, which model is my question

Garmin is good. But which model is dependent on how you will use it and how much you want to spend, as well as whether a specific model has the features you want. They mostly use the same road database, so the variations are mostly on feature differences and display size.

Hard to beat Garmin for quality and features. They make GPSs specifically for motorhomes with all the features you would need. They come with a large 7 inch screen as well. They store your music and can be hooked up so that you can answer your phone as well. Log onto the Garmin web site to access info on all their makes and models.  www.garmin.com

Bill

might wanna take a look at google maps too.  most of the so called "smart phones" can run google maps and if you have cell service the app is truly amazing...  I don't think it would help with large vehicle routing like some of the specialized RV units though.

I've got a pretty nice one I don't use anymore due to having a smart phone. When I get a chance I'll get the model number off it for you.

I have been very happy with every Garmin that I have owned.  My Nuvi is well out of date compared to all of the ones being sold now.

I am planning to try the free version of CoPilot on my phone to see how that works.  Their claim to fame is that you can load the route in advance and then work offline to avoid data usage and keep it available where  you loose cell coverage.  Their downside is they charge for add ons like voice prompts etc. Perhaps you can work offline with Google Maps, but I have yet to figure out how.

Joel

Question, wouldn't using the map app on your smart phone going down the highway,  use up costly minutes on your data plan?

billwild said:
Question, wouldn't using the map app on your smart phone going down the highway,  use up costly minutes on your data plan?

Yes it does, unless you are using an app like CoPilot that allows you to load you route in advance while in Wifi and then follow the route offline.

hoeky_b,
  I would bet that if you looked at all the GPss out today, you would find short comings in all of them.  I have owned 4 Garmins up to now and I enjoyed them all. Would have been completely lost in the motorhome without it.

Bill

Love our Garmin Nuvi 2757 - just as we've liked several previous Garmins over the last 15 years.  We go to many places without cell phone coverage and prefer to have satellite-based GPS.  It sits on a dashboard beanbag and can be carried easily between the motorhome and cars.

ArdraF

I just got back from a 1000 mile trip and google maps sent me on 80 miles of 2 lane back roads in Ark., and Mo. Wasn't no fun let me tell ya. I wouldn't have even enjoyed running those roads in my Corvette. I'll never leave in the MH again with out a paper atlas. I have been also looking a Garmin, had one years ago but it is so out dated, didn't have free updates.

I would get a truck Garmin Dezl model. Set the unit into truck mode then put your MH details in like length, width, weight and height. The size of the screen doesn't matter much since you just listen anyways.

Our MH has navigation, but I like my Garmin RV 760LMT better so I use it instead.  Large screen - loud, fair graphics, and it has the feature of adding height, weight, length and it will keep you out of trouble.  Early on I noticed it would divert me way out of the way if it didn't know the road conditions ahead when in RV mode, but it seems to be better as the maps are updated. 

The new model that replaced mine is an RV 770LMT-S.

I have the RV 760 in my motorhome and another one in my toad. I don't like to transfer items, would rather duplicate. I use the one in the motorhome as a secondary for finer detail and as a backup in case my main navigation system dies. I like the large 7" size so can see it. They should still be available even though they are replaced by the RV 770. The RV version has most RV parks listed and makes them easy to find. The truck version should be good also, maybe not so good to find the RV parks.

For my main navigation system I use a 22" monitor driven by a dedicated micro-desktop computer. The monitor is mounted above the driver's seat so I can easily see it by just glancing up. I use Street Atlas 2014 for my mapping program. I can easily plan my complete trip and be able to use it to go anywhere I please. The program gives all of the advantages of a printed map plus better detail.

It seems like all my RV friends don't like my system and prefer to use the iPhone or equivalent. :)(

I also have the Silverleaf MH monitor program which I have displayed on the monitor. :))

It all works great.

I have the Garmin RV 760LMT too. Love the big screen and the way the directions are spoken. Just love the exit view with the lanes and signs shown. Great to avoid low bridges. It also warns me for sharp curves and steep hills. When at a campground it is easy to see local weather and weather warnings. Love it!

In our toad we have the Garmin Nuvi 50 not that advanced but it does the trick. Sure we have a physical road atlas for backup and general overview and use RVtripwizard for our planning.

Garmin all the way.  I own a Garmin RV660 and love it.  It takes a lot of the guess work out of planning a trip (we use our RV for travel not camping) and is wonderful on the road.  I wouldn't travel without it.  Happy RVing everyone.

I think Jeep must use Garmin as OEM navigation, because that screen sure looks familiar :)

Another feature of my RV 760LMT is it will find campgrounds for you by hookup type.  Nice feature when just looking for a place to hit a 50A for the night.

Wayne, I too use the 2014 version of Street Atlas and the VMSpc on a separate 7-inch monitor. Wish I could find an updated map program similar to Street Atlas, but I guess most people are using smart phones or iPads to navigate.
I particularly like the ability to trip plan without being on line. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom