Converter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LisaP

We have a 2016 Keystone Hideout 5th wheel and our battery is not being charged when the camper is plugged in to shore power.  30 amp service.  How do we check the converter to see if it is working properly?  It is a new battery and it will charge when it is hooked to towing vehicle or battery charger.

Welcome to the forum.
Have you checked the circuit breaker in the entrance panel for the RV?  If you have one, \shut it off then back on to reset it in case it tripped. Did anyone connect the cables to the new battery incorrectly just for a second?  There may be fuses on the converter which are there to protect the converter in case someone hooks up the cables wrong.
You need a volt meter to check. Disconnect the negative cable on the battery and check the voltage coming from the converter.

We have done all kinds of meter checking and fuses and breakers.  Not sure we unplugged the negative on the battery and checked the converter though.  We will give that a try.  Thanks!

LisaP said:
We have done all kinds of meter checking and fuses and breakers.  Not sure we unplugged the negative on the battery and checked the converter though.  We will give that a try.  Thanks!

If the converter is not working and all you do is check the voltage at the battery posts, you would be just reading what the battery is.

What converter do you have?

Too charge the batteries must be conneted not turned off store mode or disconnected.

On many trailers the converter is part of the power distribution panel  Look for 1 or more 30 amp fuses

With the unit UNPLUGED check those fuses using a fuse tester or visually  if blown replace all of them whiole unplugged

ONLY the 30's (or larger) ignore anything smaller

I am not sure what brand the converter is but on the outside of the control panel it says WFCO.  We checked voltage coming out of converter with the negative disconnected from the battery and we get nothing.

LisaP said:
I am not sure what brand the converter is but on the outside of the control panel it says WFCO.  We checked voltage coming out of converter with the negative disconnected from the battery and we get nothing.

See the troubleshooting  guide the WFCO on page 8. The jest of it is that if the voltage reads 13.6 Vdc (+/-.2) with no load, then the converter is working.  Mine died with less than one year of use.
http://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/9800-Operators-Manual.pdf

In addition to checking fuses and circuit breakers on your pannel, if I remember correctly, there are 2 fuses directly on the unit. Check those as well.

Discovered it is the converter.  No reading on the meter at all.

So do we get the same converter that was in there or is there something better and more reliable?  The one we have now is a WFCO 8900.

As I've been known to type: Forget the rest get the best and that ain't WFCO

You basically have two electronically identical choices.

Assuming the converter is built into the power distribution panel....

Progressive Dynamics 4600... This replaces the electriongs  no need to replace the entire panel

IF it's a stand alone converter (Not part of the power panel) Progressive Dynamics 9200
(Or a 9100 with optional charge wizard)

The Progressive Dynamics charge wizard controlled converters are simplly the best.. 3 stages plus a feature.  Now I will admit you can find some others in the same quality range, but none better.

Another option.. if you wish, is to upgrade to a converter/inverter  This is kind of the electroinc part of a UPS (in fact they work real good as that) everything save the battery.

Then just disconnect the power wire to the wfco electronics.. MOST INverter/charger(converter) units are also top rated when it comes to charging the battery..

Thank you.  We will check those out.  One of our concerns is how a different unit will fit in the spot. 

WFCO had some quality problems when they first got into RV systems back around 2004, but they seem to have improved. Still, a converter failure on a 2016 is not much of a recommendation for them (if it is indeed a failure).

The 8900 series is an integrated 120v and 12v power center, providing 120vac circuit breakers, 12v power conversion and  fuses, plus battery charging. Is it only battery charging that is not working? When on shore power, the converter function should be supplying all your 12v needs in addition to charging the battery.

Before you go too far down the road to replacement, are you sure you have 120v power into the converter/charger?  Did you check the reverse polarity fuses to make sure neither is blown?  And the physical connections to the battery?

You can get replacement circuit boards for the WFCO if needed, but on a 2016 I would first contact WFCO about the possibility of a warranty replacement.

We checked everything.  When on shore power it is not supplying any power.  It just uses the battery up and then lights go dim and eventually nothing works.  They are supposedly sending us a replacement.

If your unit is intergrated, (Converter built into power panel) The Progressive Dybamics 4600 line WILL fit, it is made to replace the integrated converters
Of course with stand alones that's not an issue
But it will fit,

Try to find someone who is handy with wiring. On Keystone the circuit breaker for the converter is the last one on the bottom.
My neighbor's converter died, so I removed it for him. We measured it and he had those dimensions handy when he called the dealer for info.  The dealer needed the serial # but because the bad converter was out, that was easy. Dealer said he had a 55 amp converter that would fit into the space under the panel. Neighbor bought it, I installed it for him. Bamm. Done.
I suspect this plan will work for you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom