Help!! Electrical issues 30' 2007 Keystone Laredo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cedartfm

We've moved into our 5th wheel for the next three months while our new home is under construction. Of course the first day was chaotic.  To make things more exiting, the brand new battery doesn't seem to be charging and we're losing power to the fridge and the a/c.  Fuses are good, 30 amp power appears to be good, and I've even tried plugging in to my truck.  No luck.

Any ideas what might be our issue?

.....the brand new battery doesn't seem to be charging....

Hmmm. The first thing that comes to mind is that the battery may have been accidentally connected backwards, even momentarily, during the new battery installation and blew the protection fuses (often 2) that most converters have. Even without an accidental connection these fuses have been know to blow for no obvious reason during battery connection/disconnection. Find, check, and replace if necessary.

The fuses may be located on the converter itself or in a power center along with the other 12V distribution system fuses.

You can check the converter output using a voltmeter and measuring across the battery terminals. A voltage reading of 13.2 V or greater will indicate charging should be taking place. A reading in the 12.6V region or lower, no charging.

Thanks.  I did check the power at the converter and it's only putting out 7 volts. 

Question: converter or inverter?  Converter charger is what I'm looking for, I think.

Thanks for the help!

If your converter (that's the one that does the charging) is only putting out seven volts, there's definitely something wrong. Is your shore-power putting out good power?

Kev

Cedartfm said:
Thanks.  I did check the power at the converter and it's only putting out 7 volts. 

Question: converter or inverter?  Converter charger is what I'm looking for, I think.

Thanks for the help!

Did you check the 110 Volt AC circuit breaker for the converter?  Many times, there is a dedicated breaker just for the converter. If there is, shut it off then back on again.

Did you check the voltage with one of the battery cables disconnected?  If you're getting 7 volts, that may be the voltage of the battery and plugging it into the truck would take a long time to bring the charge back up. That's if the battery is still good. 7 volts indicates a completely dead battery. Try charging it with a battery charger to see if it comes back.

Chances are you have a CONverter.

Cedartfm said:

Thanks for the help

Most likely!! What is the make and model on the converter? Many are part and parcel of a power centre and may be identifiable by the fact that there are circuit breakers (120V) and fuses (12V) sharing the same mounting plate/box. If that is the case the brand and model are likely stenciled on the door or mounting plate.

Reading 7 Volts DC is definitely a problem but before saying too much, how and where was that measured??

It was the converter charger.  All is well!  Thanks for the responses everyone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom