E. Washington to Chicago - Two Weeks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ip076

I'm looking at leaving Eastern Washington on Friday and need to be in Chicago two weeks later.  Any good suggestions?

I went to Glacier last year and Yellowstone the year before, so I don't feel obliged to visit those right now. 

I'm thinking of a northern route and seeing Teddy Roosevelt NP in North Dakota and maybe some time in the Boundary Waters of MN.  The first weekend might actually be a detour through Smiley Creek, ID (Anyone familiar with the RV park at Smiley Creek Lodge?) to visit some friends who are fly-in camping there. 

I'm looking for decent stay recommendations at Roosevelt NP and the Boundary Waters if anyone has some.  Along the way I'll probably try out the Wal-Mart/Rest Stop scene. 

Thanks!

You might want to check out Great Falls MT.  There is a Lewis and Clark center there as well as some good museums and art works places, Charlie Russell etc.  Also the museums at Helena and Bozeman.  the one in Bozeman has good dinosaur exhibits.  Billings and Red Lodge are also interesting.  Glendive has a nice state park in the badlands on the way to TR.  Also there is a show in Medora ND that some like.
If you stay north on US 2, there is Ft Benton and Ft Peck Dam.

Just a few quick thoughts on your trip.

Painted Canyon is awesome!

The two campgrounds Ive been to up north in MN way are Devil's track lake, which is up the gunflint trail from Grand Marais. Its a primitive campground with one water faucet, so you'd have to fill up before you set up camp. Camp sites are right on the lake with heavy woods between sites, so they are pretty private.

Another one is Temperence River state park, on the north shore of Lake Superior near Tofte. The electric sites are in the upper camp, but the lakeview sites are in the lower one.

Make a note though if youre planning on staying a night in the Twin Cities. The entire metro area has banned parking overnights in any business parking lots.  :mad:

..edited for clarity..

if you haven't been to custer state park,mt rushmore ,jewel and wind caves national parks they should be on your "to see list."
you could spend two weeks in the black hills and hardly scratch the surface

Medora, ND, just south of TRNP,  has a very nice city park with full hookups. A must see/do in Medora is the cowboy fondue and the Medora Musical show afterwards.  The fondue dinner is steaks cooked on pitchforks and cafeteria style serve yourself. The show is on the side of a mountain with the seats overlooking the stage further down. The dinner and the show are both outdoors. You can buy the dinner and show separately or combo. We got the combo and it cost about  $125 for the two of us.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom