Photobucket to begin charging, need new hosting site

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henkelphoto

Hi guys,

I'm a lurker on a website called Sport Shooter, which is a bunch of professional sports photographers. There is a post today that says Photobucket will start charging $400 a year to host photos. Now, I don't know if this means just pros or anyone. Bottom line is that I've been pretty unhappy with the so called service they provide for some time and I'm darned sure not going to pay for it.

So any suggestions on hosting sites?

It looks like their top tier program is already $400 a  year. Are you saying all plans are going to that amount? Doesn't make any sense unless they want to lose a part of their customer base.

PLUS 50
52.0 GB Storage $5.99 / MO
Billed Annually
$59.99 / YR

MOST POPULAR & BEST VALUE!
PLUS 100
102.0 GB Storage $9.99 / MO
Billed Annually
$99.99 / YR

PLUS 500
502.0 GB Storage $39.99 / MO
Billed Annually
$399.99 / YR

Well, I'm not exactly certain. I've just been reading another forum and they mentioned that. In any case, even if there you can still post on their site for free,  I would still be interested in alternate sites.

Photobucket is still free up to 2gig. What they took out of the free accounts is hot linking. That means all the pics you posted anywhere will not work anymore.

I found 2 days ago, all my pictures are gone.  No way to retrieve them.

Is there a way to get them back and cease dealing with them?

I've been using Google Photos.  It is free for unlimited storage (so far) as long as the photos are not RAW format and, of course, not used in a commercial manner.  So far, so good.

I've noticed over the years that a number of these free, and even paid, photo hosting services start charging or go away after some period of time. Hopefully, sites like Google will stick around for the long term. Meanwhile, DutchEagle makes a good suggestion. If anyone needs help with that, I'm sure Dutch (Klaas) or I can help.

I also have Photobucket and not all that thrilled with it, but I have not received notification from them that they will start charging, other than what they already charged for. 

Tom said:
Meanwhile, DutchEagle makes a good suggestion. If anyone needs help with that, I'm sure Dutch (Klaas) or I can help.

Thanks Tom :))
Yes I can help with how to find and register a domain name, get hosting, install Piwigo for your photo's or (unrelated) install WordPress for your blog on your own domain. Next to that (also unrelated) I can offer my help with networking and WiFi. 
I worked in IT for over 20 years and now develop websites using WordPress.

... and now develop websites using WordPress.

Aye, I've spun up a lot of sites with WP, and also helped clients spin up their own sites (hand holding on the phone). Much easier for folks to get used to than a full CMS.

Molaker said:
I've been using Google Photos.  It is free for unlimited storage (so far) as long as the photos are not RAW format and, of course, not used in a commercial manner.  So far, so good.
^^^^ 100% correct.

Back
Top Bottom