Towing a vehicle....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Sofa King

Pittsburgh, pa (zombietown) Go Steelers!!
i am going to bring my mustang back to Pennsylvania from Montana...  i would like to buy a trailer/doll/tow bar and money IS and object so what do you guys suggest?? 

how are tow bars...? never really used one before..  i know i have to disconnect the drive shaft on my car... other than that i don't know much more...

A tow bar and base plates for the Mustang are not inexpensive either. You could use a relatively inexpensive ($200 or so) ball-hitch type of tow bar but the base plates will still be $300 or so plus installation.  The nice motorhome mounted towbars are $500-$700. If it's a one time use you can physically disconnect the drive shaft, but if you will tow it more often you will want a drive shaft disconnect from Remco so you can do it from the driver seat. That's another several hundred dollars.

Yu could look around for a used dolly - they often appear on Ebay or on ads on Rv sites such as this one.

Check with U-Haul or other rental company for a one-way trailer rate.  Some of them even rent tow bars, but they usually need to be returned.  Another option...buy a trailer used and resell it.  If you buy it right, you should be able to get what you paid for it?

If this is a one time deal, and it sounds like it, I would rent a trailer from U-Haul or some other rental company.  I have used U-Haul and Budget and found both have reliable equipment.  One move was 800 miles and the other 1000.  Their computer base has a lot of trailer information.  I think you will find this the most economical.  I don't think you will be able to dolly it.

Back
Top Bottom