2008 Itasca Sunstar 32K

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RockyFarmer

Ok so we just bought our sunstar and have had it sitting in the driveway while we have been loading it and prepping it. I noticed that the front air runs all the time from about 10 am till the sun goes behind the hills. It does not seem to be able to keep up. I have had both ac units cleaned and both are putting out cold not sure if this is normal or if something else is going on. Any ideas or suggestions welcomed. Thanks in advance....

It's sunny and close to 90 degrees today. If I was loading my 34 foot Sightseer in these conditions I would expect one air conditioner to run steady just to keep up.

Actually, I'd probably be running both a/c units just to be comfortable inside when I wanted to take a break.

You may want to purchase a thermal gun which will read the temperature of furnace/air cond discharge vents. Most people on this site seem to agree that a difference between a/c input and output of 20 degrees f is normal.

What Larry said. Keep the blinds/shades down during the day and get a bubble 'shade' for the windshield to keep the sun from heating the front up. Park in the shade if possible and cool your unit down at night so there's not a huge heat load early in the day.

Pretty much normal in hot sunny weather. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if both airs ran non-stop to "keep up".  All RVs heat up rapidly in full sun and also leak a fair amount of air in/out. Thin walls with modest insulation, lots of windows (especially the windshield), skylights, gaps around slides, etc.  Rvs have a lot of btus of a/c for a relatively small volume and still struggle to stay cool in the sun.

You probably had the entry door open a lot as well as you loaded it up.

John already gave you the only practical advice.

Back
Top Bottom