Help needed sorting out video connectivity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill N

Late to the party but a self induced error has made me decide to take the glass monster out.  Coach is 2002 Adventurer. Both TVs are original. Had a Dish receiver wired into system and used a Tailgater but me and Dish had a major falling out so I decided to go back to OTA or cable which our favorite CG has. 

My error caused the following:  Hooking up at cable equipped CG and could not get picture - only Unuseable Signal message.  One thing led to another and finally I decided to remove the Dish receiver and go back to the orignal hookups.  Removed the receiver and a lot of cable extensions.  Found out the guy from Dish had removed the VCR (it wasn't working as I recall) and rewired some of the connections but now I could not get the wires matched up right.

So, since I wanted to have TV to see my ballgames for the next 7 days, I went an purchased a 32 inch flat screen TV that will be mounted across the old glass monster opening eventually.  For now it is wired direct from the CG pedestal in through a window to the TV on the dash - works very well for a temporary hookup.

Questions:  The Winnie cable box is a very difficult access point.  I removed the top and have to use a mirror to see the connection points - some of which are now empty because the Dish guy switched stuff around. The Dish receiver is now out completely.  What is the best way to determine which cable is which? Ohmmeter/other?

The back of the Winnie cable box has the connection points identified. Stupid question:  When the word "To" is used that means the data is going OUT of the box and the word "From" means the data goes INTO the box from the specified cable. Right?

Is there any Winnebago breakdown of the cable connections and ID of the cables going into/out of the box.  I notice two of the cables are marked, one with a red ring near the connector and the other with a green ring near the connector.  I think these may identify the front and rear TVs but am not sure.

Finally - the biggie.  Has anyone done the conversion on a 2002 Adventurer and posted the steps they did to accomplish the job.  I have a 32 inch new TV flat screen which measures 29 1/2 inches wide the exact same width of the existing outside molding on the old TV mounting.  I want to take the project on when I get home and have a couple of days to mess with the Winnie  box.

The confession:  The entire problem was caused by ME.  I had last used the input from the Tailgater last year so the box had the Satellite button depressed.  All I had to do was press the CABLE button and there would have been no problem.  But when you are hooking up on a very hot day and you have senior moments by the dozens, one missed button depress can really result in a mess.  In this case, it will lead to upgrade of the TV system in the coach.  Thanks to any who read this vent.  And thanks to John for creating this topic on the board.

You are right about the To and From. The coax switch box is Velcroed in and can be pulled up to loosen so as to get to connections on the back. Just remove the front trim panel that surrounds the switch.

You can get your wiring diagram from Winnebago online

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2002/02_g-ser_wire_137576.pdf

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2002/02_g35u_wire_138210.pdf

Complete G Series Wiring Diagram Book
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2002/2002_G_Series.pdf

I have a 2003 Adventurer and replaced the original TV with a 32". It fits perfectly between the doors of the overhead front cabinets.

A toner is the best way to check to check the cables. A transmitter and receiver are available at any home improvement store or Harbor Freight. Next best way is a multimeter and continuity.

I'm not familiar with your coach model, but if it were me, and I were going to replace the CRT set with a flat screen, I would probably remove the two TVs and the BOMB (box of many buttons) and just start over.

You can easily make a shunt from an old f-connector and a short length of coax. Just install the connector on the coax, and then, at the other end of the coax, solder the center wire to the mesh shield. Screw the shunt onto one end of a cable and then check the resistance at the other end by using one multimeter probe on the center wire and one on the mesh (or the exterior of an F-connector).

When you find the cable with the shunt on the other end, resistance will be near zero, whereas, any cable without the shunt will have infinite resistance. Once you have identified and labeled all your cables, you can hook them up to the BOMB and then to the new TV (and the old bedroom TV, or better yet, replace that TV, too...it's only money  ::) )

RED in from park cable
GREEN To tv's
BLUE from antenna

These should all be connected at Thea know of the curl box.  That box can go bad.

It has been this way on my 3 Winnebago MH's, but they were newer.

Thanks to all who have replied so far.  I will be printing out all the info provided.  Please keep those posts coming.  I have already learned a lot.

Bill

schoolsout2 said:
RED in from park cable
GREEN To tv's
BLUE from antenna

These should all be connected at Thea know of the curl box.  That box can go bad.

It has been this way on my 3 Winnebago MH's, but they were newer.

"connected at Thea know of the curl box"  Dave, thanks for that info but is there a typo with "thea know"? Not sure I understand that term,

Bill

Sorry, bad edit.  The wires all connect to the distribution box.  It is also the 12v booster power supply for the antenna.  These go bad, and are no longer available.  I took mine out and put in the standard power supply. I lost the DVD output to the bedroom, but never used it anyway.

The AV wire diagram on the Winnebago sit should give you a good direction for how things should be.

Back
Top Bottom