EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Installing new toilet  (Read 2482 times)

Woody

• ---
Installing new toilet
« on: May 18, 2005, 12:48:45 PM »
I have developed a leak somewhere under the Thetford toilet in my 93 Pace Arrow motorhome. I imagine the leak is in the valve that controls water flow since it seems to just leak a little when the valve is opened and not at other times. This is the original toilet and rather than repair it I would like to just replace it with a new one.
Can anyone give me some advice or tips on how to remove the oild one  and do the new install.

Woody

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Installing new toilet
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 01:36:13 PM »
Woody,

Thetford's web site gives a few words of wisdom, but not a lot.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Woody

• ---
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 02:33:09 PM »
Thanks Tom, I'll check their website out. I recall that RV Today had a segment on changing out a toilet but I didn't pay much attention since I was planning to do it then.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 03:00:06 PM »
Let us know what you find out Woody. Maybe you could come back and give us a tutorial  :)
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 09:12:40 PM »
Get yourself a copy of RV Maintenance & Repair Manual by Bob Livingstone.  Since your rig is an older one, a used edition off eBay would do just fine. However, a new one is only about $22 (+ shippiing) from Amazon.com and probably under $30 in an RV store.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0934798702/002-0115264-4499247?v=glance

This manual contains a lot of useful and easily understood info on common repair/replacement jobs.

As I recall, most Thetford toilets have 4 bolts holding them to the floor, 2 in front and 2 in the rear. The front bolts are accessible thru the foot pedal opening but the rears are somewhat awkward to get at. Some models have a lift-off cap in the upper surface to allow a socket extension to be inserted from the top to get at one rear bolt. The other you have to reach around the back. With the 4 bolts off and the water line disconnected , its a piece of cake from there on. Nothing tricky.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Hosted by Over The Network