13,500 AC or 15,000 for my 30amp 5th wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grandmalinda

My subject line is my question............probably a dumb question, but I am an electrical dummy!  This grandma is living on her own in her 5th wheel, but I can do a bit of plumbing and handy man work, I know nothing about power things.  Any help is appreciated!

There is no such thing as a dumb question. The only reason forums exist is for people to get their questions answered. Where are you going to be using the 5er? If it is anywhere like Arizona or Florida there is no question go for the big one.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking what the total number of watts you can consume from a 30 amp hookup? 

JoelP said:
I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking what the total number of watts you can consume from a 30 amp hookup?
No, she is trying to decide which model a/c she should buy, 13.5k or a 15k.

Grandmalinda said:
I am sorry I misunderstood you. A 30 amp connection can handle either one. They are both very close to the same size so the difference is not very much. Both use around 18 to 20 amps running.

No problem!  Thanks for the responses.  I'll try to be more clear with any other questions.  :)

To elaborate a bit, the 15k unit provides more cooling but uses more power. However, both are well within the capability of a 30A circuit. You just have a little bit less left over for other purposed when the a/c is running, but you don't have a lot  left in either case. We are talking about maybe a 1 amp difference. The choice of a high efficiency model vs a standard one could make that up.

I would make my choice based on how much cooling I needed rather than amp load. Most RVs need all the cooling they can get, especially those with just one a/c unit.

One of the things that surprised me when I upgraded was the current draw.

Original Carrier Air V  13,500 BTU 13.5 amps....

Advent air 15,000 BTU's. 13.5 amps  NOTE: IT does seem to start "harder" however 9More current at comnpressor start)

Coleman 15000 BTU, 13.9 amps But starts "Easier" than the Advent

Check the label

Back
Top Bottom