Forever Warranty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Podwan

A Houston-area dealership offers a "forever warranty" with every RV purchase.  It is supposed to cover everything on the RV anywhere you may go, as long as you have four components inspected every year  by a certified RV tech and upload the receipt to their app.  Components axels and hubs lubed, roof & seal inspected, hot water heater and furnace inspected and serviced and propane lines checked for leaks. 
We were told that if the buyer does these things yearly and uploads the receipt/paperwork from the certified RV tech that they would cover anything that went wrong to the RV as long as the purchaser owned it (not transferrable) anywhere in the US. 

Has anyone actually used this?  I've tried to do some searches online.  Some feel that the cost for this yearly service (even when you can choose your own inspector/servicer) is too high for something they can do themselves.  We can't do any of this ourselves, so we would likely need to pay for this anyway. 
If the person does the required maintenance, and if something breaks, are they just going to say its normal wear and tear and refuse to repair it? 
I've never owned an RV.  With vehicle purchases, I've had good experiences and bad with extended warranties. 

Considering that a mobile RV person can charge 125$ for a call + 100$  an hour (Florida winter rates) and RV dealers about 100$ an hour labour for these so called inspections, it seems to me to be a very expensive warranty. Especially so if one is capable to do much of the maintenance themselves.

I looked at a camper from a dealership that offered this type of warranty. If I remember correctly they will get you in for the inspection and then are able to charge additional fees for small repairs/maintenance items not covered under the warranty. at 100.00 plus an hour this can add up.

my opinion at the time was it was a way to get you into the dealership to spend money. It also said you had to be an authorized dealer to perform the inspection.
they warranty was advertised as free and included in the price..........
I think anytime they can get out of paying for a warranty item they will

I'm assuming this is a new RV...? Since most people only own an RV for an average of 4 to 5 years (I read that somewhere) and new RVs already have, at least, a one year factory warranty, the dealer isn't taking much of a gamble by offering a "forever" warranty, so it's a bit gimicky for sure. Pretty pricey too.

Kev

Save your money my friend or you will come to know why they call it a "Forever Warranty." 

You'll be wishing you hadn't purchased it "Forever."

Our last 5er had a 2 yr full + 5 yr structural factory warranty and it required up to date inspections and service - it was a joke - Inspections were nearly $350 if they didn't have to do anything, and if they did it was priced high, not to mention the rig sat on their lot until they felt like doing it.  The factory maintenance schedule did not align with a winter stored vehicle and if you missed a scheduled inspection or service your warranty was over for that particular item.  All of the advantages were theirs.

I live in Houston and have bought two vehicles from the dealer I think you are talking about.  I bought a car a few years ago, and a travel trailer last year. After seeing the stipulations of the warranty it is definitely a win for the dealer.  Focus on how the RV is constructed and forget about warranty.  I do RV maintenance and minor repair as well as travel trailer rentals.  Feel free to contact me if you would like to get my very freely given opinion.  ;D  LOL

Been RVing for nearly 30 years here. I've only ever had one issue covered by warranty which would have likely cost me $100 out of pocket if I'd have had to cover it myself. I'm over 55 years old, have very little mechanical experience and do most of the maintenance myself. Occasionally I need work done that I just can't do myself or an inspection or something like that, but in my opinion that warranty is going to be a complete waste and only the dealer will benefit from it.

Back
Top Bottom