Need help with water heater.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BristolKing

When I went to winterize my water heater last year the by-pass valve was not working so anti-freeze was pouring out of heater. I removed fitting and plugged. For some reason this year I removed both the intake and outflow connections. When I went to drain and hookup yesterday the lower fitting was leaking. Retightened all fittings and now no leaks. However, I now see 2 pieces that I am not sure where they go. One is a black plastic washer like for a garden hose or city water connection used to seal the hose from leaking at hookup. The other is a little plastic round flexible sealer of some kind molded like the male fitting on connections. Before I turn on water heater, does anyone know which side of heater this may be for. My guess is the top outflow that would be for expansion when hot water is called for. I do not want to re-do this and all the water cleanup with it. Or does this go somewhere else not associated with water heater. Any ideas would help. Thank You. p,s. never remove elbows coming off water heater, so this refers to the first connects after elbows, off tees, that create the bypass system.

Do you know the make and model of the water heater?

Year, make and model of the RV?

How to make a signature for your RV so we can serve you better.

1. Click "Profile" button towards the top of the screen.

2. Scroll down a ways and select "Modify Profile"

3. Select Forum Profile

4. Fill it out and click on "Change profile".

Cannot seem to do what you suggest. We have a 2007 Keystone Hornet RLS27. The water heater is an Atwood Automatic Storage Water heater, Model #GC6AA-10E. It is both electric and propane compatible. We use mostly electric and the pressure relief valve always leaks a little even after replacing it. So we know when to shut her down !

My water heaters have always leaked a little bit from the pressure relief valve, I don't worry about it.

I don't know where those pieces go, perhaps someone will come along on here who has one of those model water heaters and give you a clue.

Leakage from the PT relief valve usually means there is insufficient air head in the tank, i.e. a layer of air above the water. However, if the PT is opened frequently, the valve seat deteriorates and you get some seepage.  This article in the RVForum Library explains the procedure for establishing the air head (pocket):
http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=105:hot-water-pressure-relief-valve-leaks&catid=42&Itemid=132

I don't know why water would "pour out of the heater" if the bypass doesn't work, but I guess that is history now.  Could you post pictures of the extraneous parts and the heater plumbing?  They probably are not part of the heater itself - the surrounding plumbing is all designed and installed by the RV maker.

More helpful articles on the water heater and associated systems can be found at http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=42&Itemid=132

BristolKing said:
When I went to winterize my water heater last year the by-pass valve was not working so anti-freeze was pouring out of heater. I removed fitting and plugged. For some reason this year I removed both the intake and outflow connections. When I went to drain and hookup yesterday the lower fitting was leaking. Retightened all fittings and now no leaks. However, I now see 2 pieces that I am not sure where they go. One is a black plastic washer like for a garden hose or city water connection used to seal the hose from leaking at hookup. The other is a little plastic round flexible sealer of some kind molded like the male fitting on connections. Before I turn on water heater, does anyone know which side of heater this may be for. My guess is the top outflow that would be for expansion when hot water is called for. I do not want to re-do this and all the water cleanup with it. Or does this go somewhere else not associated with water heater. Any ideas would help. Thank You. p,s. never remove elbows coming off water heater, so this refers to the first connects after elbows, off tees, that create the bypass system.

BristolKing
What was wrong with your water heater plumbing before you tried to fix it leaving those 2 pieces out?

Back
Top Bottom