CO detector issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobmar

Hello, first time on your forum, looking at other questions here I'm sure someone has advice on my issue.
We have a Sporttrek327vik  2016 bought new, so far we love it. Took it out about 10 times last year,5 so far this year. Last 2 times out the CO/LP detector starts screaming in the middle of the night . Last night went off 4 times, I'd hit reset & it'd be OK for 1/2 hour or so. The CO light was green & LP light was red. Common sense says evacuate the camper but I didn't even have my propane tanks turned on & we didn't even have the hot water heater switched on. We were camping about 2 miles from home so showers etc were done there. Only thing running in camper was air & fridge. Am I  missing something obvious?  Or could unit be faulty? I will be putting a CO detector from home in there as a backup.
Will be calling dealer tomorrow but would over to hear your opinion. Thanks

Curious if you had any vents or windows open. 

Do you happen to know what level your 12 volts was?  Low voltage will trigger some of them.

Have you ever added water to your batteries?

Arch Hoagland said:
Curious if you had any vents or windows open. 

Do you happen to know what level your 12 volts was?  Low voltage will trigger some of them.

Have you ever added water to your batteries?

Agree. It usually indicates a low battery.  Are you boondocking?

No vents or Windows open, we did have a small fan running in the back bunk area.
Never checked batteries or have added water, but will as soon as I can.
We were plugged in to site AC & had already been there for 4 days without any issues.

My sensor acted weird a couple times.  Once I was boondocking, and the other it was sitting before a trip, but both times running off the battery.  Seemed like it was going through a self test, or low battery warning because it was going off in a very predictable manner.  Mine has an inline blade type fuse.  Each time I removed the fuse (just to make it stop) and plugged it back in 5 minutes later and all was well. That was a couple years ago since the last incident.

bobmar said:
No vents or Windows open, we did have a small fan running in the back bunk area.
Never checked batteries or have added water, but will as soon as I can.
We were plugged in to site AC & had already been there for 4 days without any issues.

This RV is 2 years old and you've never checked the battery? If you have a wet cell battery, That is possibly your problem. If it is, hopefully the battery is not ruined.

Great Horned Owl said:
The LP detector reacts, not only to propane, but also to several other explosive gasses, including methane. Do you, by any chance, have a flatulent dog?

Joel

LOL, quite true. 

Don't ask how I know. :eek:

The LP detector will react to most any hydrocarbon gas, whether actually explosive or not. I've seen them react to liquid household detergents, floor waxes and aerosol sprays. A friend makes a rum fruit cake that sets hers off every time while it is baking!

The detectors also can get contaminated fairly easily, e.g. with the platter from floor cleaners, aerosol sprays (again!), and greasy smoke from the stove or a candle. Once the sensor on the detector builds up a bit of contamination, it doesn't take much more hydrocarbon fumes to set the alarm off. The only solution to contamination is to replace the alarm.

bobmar said:
Hello, first time on your forum, looking at other questions here I'm sure someone has advice on my issue.
We have a Sporttrek327vik  2016 bought new, so far we love it. Took it out about 10 times last year,5 so far this year. Last 2 times out the CO/LP detector starts screaming in the middle of the night . Last night went off 4 times, I'd hit reset & it'd be OK for 1/2 hour or so. The CO light was green & LP light was red. Common sense says evacuate the camper but I didn't even have my propane tanks turned on & we didn't even have the hot water heater switched on. We were camping about 2 miles from home so showers etc were done there. Only thing running in camper was air & fridge. Am I  missing something obvious?  Or could unit be faulty? I will be putting a CO detector from home in there as a backup.
Will be calling dealer tomorrow but would over to hear your opinion. Thanks

bobmar
When lead acid batteries are charging they produce hydrogen gas that will trigger some CO detectors.
see: https://hawkenvironmental.com/hydrogen-gas-can-create-false-reading-carbon-monoxide-alarms/

See if there is a date on the LP detector.  Mine had one and said it needed to replaced every five years.  It had periodically been screaming, so I bought a new one and solved the problem.

I know your RV is new, but is it possible they pulled an old one off the shelf when they installed it?

LP detectors are meant to stop working after a set period of time. LP sensors have a life span and wear out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom