EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: 1230 Watt Solar Install  (Read 1994 times)

HueyPilotVN

• ---
Re: 1230 Watt Solar Install
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2018, 05:15:46 PM »
OK, the preliminary figures are in.  50.7 amps on a relatively clear day with the sun just past solar noon, which is just about optimal for the way my trailer is parked at the moment.

I compromised by  paralleling the solar controller to the converter, and thereby using the factory wiring to transmit the power to the battery bank from the converter.  This is about a 20' run.  The coach wiring is  #6 wire where it connects to the converter, but appears to be lighter gauge where it connects to the batteries.  I'm sure I could improve the performance if I rewired with #2 or heavier, but that is not in the cards at the moment.  This was never about chasing maximum efficiency, but more about pragmatism.

With that said, however, I am QUITE pleased with just over 50 amps at this latitude (51 degrees) in August on a day where the air is still somewhat filled with thin smoke from the forest fires burning in the province to the west of us.

I consider the project a success at this point.  Now I hope we can go south this year and park it in the desert for a few weeks and enjoy it all!   ;D

Frank.

Before I left Lake Havasu I went to Lowes and got the end of a roll of #2 cable, (about 50 feet).  I also got battery lugs and I have a crimping tool.

I was going to suprise you at KOFA with free new #2 cable for your battery to Invertor cable that you mentioned in the above post.

Hopefully you are coming to Quartzsite after KOFA anyway.
Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
2 Jeep Commanders
Mustang Bracket Race Car
Retired from the road to Lake Havasu after 35 years on the road

Frank B

• ---
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2018, 06:23:12 PM »
You are amazing! 😊

I'll pm you.

Frank.
Linux:  Free, open, elegant.
06 GMC 3500 Duramax crew/long pulling 2010 Arctic Fox 30U with 1700 lb Reese Titan Class 5.
1.2 kw solar

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2018, 04:05:46 PM »
You are amazing!
Yep... Bill is a generous guy, which reminds me... Thanks again for the filter Bill. I really appreciate it! And if you ever accidentally buy the wrong batteries, like maybe 800 AHs of lithium batteries, please offer them to me first. :)

I'm glad your solar setup is working so well Frank. Sounds like it's all dialed in... but a popcorn popper??  ;D Boy, this boondocking lifestyle's gettin' tough! Thanks for coming by the other day. It was nice to finally meet you. We ended up with 11 RVs and a tent at our boondocking site, and everyone seemed to have a great time. We sure did. We had originally planned to stay 4 or 5 nights, but ended up staying an entire week. What a great group!

During the entire week, I only ran our generator for about 15 to 20 minutes one evening, so Cyndi could nuke some things in the microwave for our group potluck dinner. Other than that, it was all solar. Not bad considering we have such a power-hungry coach. Several of us in the group had solar. It's a pretty popular option in that part of the country.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 960 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

Frank B

• ---
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2018, 08:23:39 PM »
Kevin:

And my thanks to you. It was a pleasure to meet you and your wife as well. Sorry that we are so shy, but with the pressure of life today, even when retired, the wife and I seek QUIET more than anything else.  In fact, I complained to one of my buddies back in Calgary about how much I hate sitting beside the fridge outside under the awning. I hate the 'roar' of the propane burner. :-)  THAT is the kind of quiet we crave, something that we find in abundance here.  It would be nice to get to know you better in a smaller group.

And my thanks to Bill as well. I'll have to look him up in the phone book and send him a big 'Thank You' card when we get home.

Safe journey home. We're off to Agua Caliente in Anza Borrego once we finish a shopping trip to Yuma on Monday (if the somewhat overzealous ranger doesn't chase us out on Friday).😄 

Frank.
Linux:  Free, open, elegant.
06 GMC 3500 Duramax crew/long pulling 2010 Arctic Fox 30U with 1700 lb Reese Titan Class 5.
1.2 kw solar